What distro(s) do you all use?

DOlson

I use:

Desktop: Mandrake 9.0 & whatever distro I feel like at the time (Slackware 8.1 is installed on my 2.5GB spare partition on my second drive, IIRC*)

Server: Mandrake 8.2

Wife's Desktop: Mandrake 9.0 & Win98SE (she hasn't used this since August, and it is only there for playing Planescape Torment. I don't know why she insists on completing that game...)

* - that shows you how much I boot into it.

Guest LinuxExplorer

Desktop w/some Server capabilities: Mandrake 9.0

Roomie #1: Windows XP - He'll be getting a Mac soon anyway. He's mostly doing graphics and design.

Roomie #2: Windows ME and Windows 98 - I'm not even sure what he does on his anymore.

I say mine has some server capabilities since the Apache and FTP servers are only open to the intranet.

Let's see.

Red Hat 7.3 running Ximian Desktop soon to be upgraded to Mandrake 9.0 (Don't like what Red Hat has done with the desktop) dual boot with Windows 2000 for things like Photoshop and Dreamweaver (can't afford the Mac yet).

I also have a computer running FreeBSD soon to be upgraded(?) to smoothwall gpl to serve as a firewall/router. (486 with 16megs of ram)

And I am going to be installing Slackware 8.1 onto another computer -- p133 with 16 megs of ram.

And I have a 286 kicking around somewhere that is running DOS 5 (or something)

Feel free to ignore this post, since I'm not even gonna read it now. I shouldn't have come back to the forums. Already people are pissed at me, and I was trying to have a sense of humor. ******************************************** I shoulda known it wouldn't work. I thought I'd just post once in a while on the forums, but nope. I'm just ruining everything. Screw it. I'll stick to IRC where I only get banned from channels while helping people. And I'll continue on my website. If you need to talk to me, you know where to find me. Look at that Chat link at the top of the page. Don't PM me, as I'm planning to not come back. Sorry for all the stupid shit I've done. Moderators: Feel free to mod me down, delete my posts, whatever. I don't care now.

Keep this thread if it interests the rest of you, otherwise delete it or do whatever.

I don't see the problem.

Anyway my main is a Mandrake 9.0 dual boot win98SE though i just cant stand to boot into windows anymore even to play all my many games.

I have a secondary Mandrake 9.0 that i can play games on, and i use for a developement box mainly for apache/mysql/php. It's good to have a spare with internet access if you screw something up on your primary.

I have a old p200 with mandrake 8.1 on it, i had used it as a gateway/proxy/firewall.

I would like to make it into a bridging firewall at some point.

Mandrake 9.0 with a dual boot for Windows ME. My wife's computer is Windows 98 SEPF (patched and fixed) My oldest son's is windows ME, but he has a desktop on my computer in linux.

DOLson, I read the "Tom who" joke and thought it was halerious. Why are so many people so touchy?? Some people just can't crack a smile because they have taken themselves too seriously. But I really don't think you mean to lump all of us perfect folk here with the rest of the world, do you? Huh? You should design signs for a day-- you will lose the touchy stuff, or you will go psychotic!! :wink:

If its just for using, well I like RedHat 8. It is what I used to do my work, email and surf the net. Pretty much a default install with a few changes (changed some shortcuts and use single click...added RTCW and Quake II, otherwise a default install).

Works well out of the box. All hardware was properly detectied.

Mandrake 9, well its what I customize and experiment with as well as surf. I am writing this on ML9.

Well, if I had to just choose one, at this point I would go with RedHat 8 (here come the bombs).

[Win98 is what I used to play games (Battle of Britain, IL-2, Strike Fighers, Operation Flashpoint and a bunch of other stuff I dont think will ever be ported to Linux)...]