Linksys router and Mandrake 10 Home Network

glore

Glad it's working - phew!!

The windows workgroup name is for the smb protocol - it just groups bunches of PCs together. ie.several PCs will share the same workgroup name. Default with win 9x was WORKGROUP.

The hostname is for the TCP/IP protocol - a unique name for each PC, separate from the smb workgroup name and can be anything you like - so you could call your PC WORKGROUP if you like, but it might get confusing for us simple humans.... In windows network neighbourhood you would open the workgroup WORKGROUP, only to be presented with a PC also called WORKGROUP...

For reference, a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) is your hostname followed by your domain name.

My domain is showerail.com and I call my main PC linux, so my FQDN is linux.showerail.com. Another PC may be called streeter.showerail.com or glore.showerail.com. On your network you may have glore.mylan.home or anything you like.

The book rute will explain it all better than I can....

Chris

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the TCP/IP protocol - a unique name for each PC, separate from the smb workgroup name and can be anything you like - so you could call your PC WORKGROUP if you like, but it might get confusing for us simple humans....

Yep thats what I meant ...just becuase you can doesnt make it a good idea...

has anyone else experienced webmin not being able to handl;e some directive that MDK adds to the smb.conf ??

I must admit I dont really use samba becuase I dont have any windows machines and NFS is much faster but I did set up some shares too play about with samba and then webmin complained about some directive or other...

Pretty sure that once samba is installed, it will start automatically at boot. If not, use drakxservices or some similar tool.

Apart from the wizard (get to it from the mandrake control panel) you could also have a look in the main configuration file - it is very well documented, with several examples - all in the config file!

The file is in /etc/samba/smb.conf - as long as you back it up first - type (as root)

cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak

you can play around to your hearts content!! - Go on, do it the hard way!! Actually, it is not that difficult, as I said, it is well commented.

Start off with changing the workgroup if you need to, set up a simple share, and go from there. You could always run the wizard first, and see what it does.

If you break something, just do

cp /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak /etc/samba/smb.conf

and all will be as it was again!

After changing something, either wait for a minute for samba to re-read the file, or type

samba restart

for instant results.

As with anything Linux, a little reading and preparation goes a long way.

BTW - this thread is getting very long - if you need further help, best start a new one so that others in need will be able to find it.

Have fun

Chris

Edited by streeter