Notice: new to mandrake

VeeDubb

I'm just posting this because I've seen a lot of problems lately with the same solution.

If you're new to mandrake and having hardware troubles, especialy with hardware that 'should' work in linux, you should read this. If not, move on.

The stock kernels for mandrake 10.0ce and 10.0oe both have a lot of bugs that prevent various hardware items from working.

HP psc printers,

some usb mice,

some network connections, especialy in kde,

Wacom tablets,

and quite a few others

The good news is that as of yesterday, the latest kernel on the mandrake update mirrors is verion 2.6.3-13mdk (that's a coupe of revisions above oe and 9 revisions above ce)

That kernel, fixes darn near everything hardware related, and there are updates for all sorts of things, ESPECIALY if you're using 10.0ce In fact, there's so many updates for the community edition, I reccomend you throw your ce CD's in the trash and get your hands on some oe cd's unless you have a great broadband connection or can't afford $10 for the set at http://www.cheapbytes.com

I hope this is helpful to at least someone out there.

Edited by VeeDubb

VeeDubb

Do the sources for this kernel match the binaries of the same version??

i.e. if you make make &&modules_install &&make_install do you get EXACTLY the same....

(Well Ok its never exact becuase for some reason MDK add the -extraversion in the Makefile but apart from that i,e if its edited out)

if not this might fix a lot of probs but it will not work for stuff like the nforce drivers which need very exact matches in the kernel headers...

MDK kernel sources have been the bane of my life since getting nfoce chipsets and usually the 'default' one is OK and I can install sources and compile against it but all the 'exotic' kones like -enterprise and -100 versions just give me errors when compiling the nforce drivers?

If anyone has a better explanation please let me know btw

Hmmm I can agree with you on the network problems. I have 3 Mandrake GNOME 10.0 Official computer and 1 Mandrake KDE 10.0 Offifical and its the only one that doesn't work.

But then again, it might have something to do with the dual boot but I can't be sure.

VeeDubb

Do the sources for this kernel match the binaries of the same version??

i.e. if you make make &&modules_install &&make_install do you get EXACTLY the same....

(Well Ok its never exact becuase for some reason MDK add the -extraversion in the Makefile but apart from that i,e if its edited out)

if not this might fix a lot of probs but it will not work for stuff like the nforce drivers which need very exact matches in the kernel headers...

MDK kernel sources have been the bane of my life since getting nfoce chipsets and usually the 'default' one is OK and I can install sources and compile against it but all the 'exotic' kones like -enterprise and -100 versions just give me errors when compiling the nforce drivers?

If anyone has a better explanation please let me know btw

Well, to be honest I'm not sure, but for that matter, I've never realy ahd any problems with my kernel sources matching with any version of mandrake.

If there's anyway I can check for you without compiling a new kernel (sorry, no time) I'd be happy to help.

in my case

[root@localhost root]# uname -r
2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk
[root@localhost root]# ls /boot/config-2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk
/boot/config-2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk

and /usr/src/linux-2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk/.config should be the same. Even better is that if it is not you can get the config of the current running kernel from /proc/config.gz

Installed the new kernel as soon as I found it and redid the Nvidia module. Worked from the get go. Different GLX file entry but works fine.

Even after reinstalling several versions of the Nvidia driver this is the first time I got the new GLX line.