problems with kernel compliling?

well I had been getting lots of no available ptys errors after I upgraded from9.1 so part of this rebuild of the kernel is to deal with that. . . .

In that case, I would continue trying to get this to compile to hopefully get things sorted out... unless your up for a clean install, which would probably be a better option than any upgrading.

yeah unfortunately I have the piece of software from hell installed and I'm not sure I can get it installed again if I go for a clean linux install *sigh*

now I know somewhere in menuconfig I need to change the Maximum # of Unix98 PTYs in use- know where that is? I can't find anything like character devices at the moment in menuconfig.

[edit] never mind, found it.

Edited by astrobabe

one last quick question-

I know, I'm the spawn of satan, but I'm running grub instead of lilo. And after the previous upgrade the start up menu got a bit crazy. I see files in /boot like vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk that are from Mandrake 9.1. Can I safely delete those older files without much worry?

yes, if you no longer want or need them you can delete them but keep in mind that if you have

vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

the you probably have

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk

which is where the kernel modules are.

Do

rpm -qa | grep kernel

and if you get

kernel-2.4.21-0.13mdk

do rpm -e kernel-2.4.21-0.13mdk

to unistall the kernel. Then delete whatever is left behind.