Power problem

jlc

I'm not sure how to really label the problem, but here is what is going on.

My main box is haveing a problem with shutdowns. When i shut the box down to do anything, it wont come backup unless i clear the CMOS.

Here is the hardware:

Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz

1GB DDR pc2100

Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 ultra

Audigy 2 ZS w/ firewire & ipod

Zaurus usb pocket pc

ati tv all in wonder

200GB segate hd

tyan i7505 (S2668) mobo w/ 7 fans to keep the procs cool.

550 Watt power supply

Any thoughts on why this beast keeps needing to clear CMOS before it will boot backup?

:wall:

it wont come backup unless i clear the CMOS.

That sounds like what happens when one over overclocks which tells me it's not liking what its reading from either the processor or chipset, and possibly ram I guess. Me no hardware expert but isn't this the box, or onee of, that you overclock? :unsure: Something toasted from it?

Bummer

it wont come backup unless i clear the CMOS.

That sounds like what happens when one over overclocks which tells me it's not liking what its reading from either the processor or chipset, and possibly ram I guess. Me no hardware expert but isn't this the box, or onee of, that you overclock? :unsure: Something toasted from it?

Bummer

sounds likely to me, it might just be the bios settings for the memory speed on auto or something being a bit over zealous....(i.e. its overclocking itself, perhaps the memory bus ??)

I also got this with a power problem, it would not supply the CPU enough power during boot and then set it back to its failsafe.... I had to then to go into bios and clear cmos... ???

Thx for all the suggestions, i'll look through the BIOS and make sure enverything is set correctly. This is a week old board, but I guess the battery could be bad. I'm not overclocking this box thats a different one! :lol:

I can reboot just fine, system will come back up, but if i shutdown for any amount of time it wont come up w/out clearing CMOS

As far as heat, they are Xeon's so they run around 60-70 Celsius, they are hot puppys to begin with. I did a little re-engineering on the heat sinks and added two more fans on the sides of the heat sinks in a push-pull fashion to keep them a little cooler. Currently i have 7 fans in the box along w/ 2 on the power supply pushing in, but I might add some more to the front of the case to drag in some more and maybe get a cooler for the board chip.

These things belong to the :devil: there so hot! :o

Nice and fast though, w/ dual Xeon's and HyperThreading my box appears as it is a 4 proc system!

B)

gentoo compile times are a cake walk, I compiled Gnome-2.6 one day as i was playing enemy-territroy for hours, didn't feel a slow down in the game at all! :thumbs:

I'm not overclocking this box thats a different one! 

Maybe not deliberatly,,,

my mobo has different 'settings' likle agressive/optimum etc which tend to let different busses determine their own speed.

Ive found sometimes they make an error perhaps becuase the RAM was capable of being run faster than it states but not reliably ...

It also does things like let other timing be more or less agressive but Im not there now.... so what I mean is try setting some of these by hand instead of auto.... else it might overclock itself!

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you figure this out cause I think I may be having a similiar issue.

My problem is my machine doesn't want to boot after being shut-down for a while. It will freeze at the strangest places. Like soon as the KDE splash screen is about to finish its thing... OR during log-in (type in username... press enter... freeze). I just keep rebooting till it boots... and then it all seems good. Seemed to begin after updating kernel in Mandrake 10 official.

I have been looking at any possible connection with kernel 2.6.8-13 (???latest in MDK rpm format), NVIDIA and my Soyo K7VTA Pro w/ a VIA KT 133A chipset (there is something mentioned in the nvidia readme about AGP problems and this chipset)

Wondering about your chipset ? Maybe I should check my cmos battery too ?

Scoopy - your problem sounds like it may be thermal.

If it won't boot when cold, but does after trying for a while - that would give something time to warm up (and expand/align correctly) perhaps??

I am thinking chip/connector seating and possibly even hard drive.

You could test this by not keep rebooting, just turn on and leave it for 10 minutes or so, then reboot.

Just a thought..

Chris