MEPIS is superb

Well, from way back when I started this thread, I did blow away SuSE, but since have gone through 6 distros. Ubuntu has become my favorite live distro. Debian Pure was also quite good. But I really like the latest Mandriva. Of course, I am a gui slave!

Only thing with Mepis is when you install it to harddisk everything has to be all on the same disk. For example /home can't be on hda and / (root) on hdb or hdc it all has to be on the same physical harddrive, although you can create different partitions on the same drive. Also there seems to be a problem with running it higher than 1024x768 some people didnt have this problem though. I used Mepis for a year and found no other problems other than this. However when I went to reinstall it one day I forgot /home wasn't on it's usuall hard disk and accidently blew it away. I personally think it's safer to have home on a seperate disk from the / in case of disk failure or if you want to try other distros. It's the only thing keeping me from using Mepis full time.

I think Mepis is perfect for beginning Windows Users who wants everything installed right now. So I usually use it for demo purposes (instead of Knoppix). Everything works right out of the box, so I can show people what Linux desktop can be at the cost of 1 CD.

Now, as for Suse.. I just played around with Suse 9.3 Pro FTP edition. There are a few things I like (like automatic throttling control, easy Internet access, etc), but there are tons of other things that I don't like (everything is Yast based, no multimedia support out of the box, kinternet hogging modem access and configured so that it's easy to accidentally cut off connection, really heavy desktop, etc). Unfortunately, I have to learn Suse in order to promote Linux to companies since it seems to be the only one backed with company support (Novell) in Indonesia. RedHat do not have presence over here, much less Mandriva, and no corporate entities will want something community based like Debian or Gentoo.

• 1 month later...