MEPIS is superb

When I am at work, I use my computer to come to the forum as well as for my job. Today, I downloaded the latest MEPIS in order to play at work. WOW. My machine at home and my machine at work are distinctly different. At work it's an HP wintel box, at home I have AMD and VIA with Nvidia. MEPIS configures both boxes perfectly, complete with sound. (Mandrake currently will not produce sound in kde) And it cruises the net faster than xp! I am almost ready to install it at home. MEPIS is just doing an excellent job. So, do I blow away SuSE or Mandrake?? Decisions, decisions.

I'd like to try it but mepis hates my Promise pci controller card. There are some hacks to get it working but you can't enable dma on any drive on the promise card if you use them. A little quick googling seems to indicate that this is still an issue. Works perfectly on all other distros incuding knoppix which mepis is based on. Go figure.

• 1 year later...

Better late than never...Just installed MEPIS on a new Fujitsu laptop and am blown away. After waffling between FC, SUSE, Ubuntu mostly...I can honestly say ive never seen this level of hardware detection and simplicity of install. And when I toted the box to a broadband connection to use synaptic?!?!? Pure magic.

Im not loading it on my main box where the MDK resides, since I m using mandriva as my stable home system, but ...damn , its tempting. I dont know if I have ever gone this gonzo over a distro before..... :headbang:

Wait some weeks, play around with Mepis and wait until your first "enthusiasm" cools down. If you are still overly impressed with Mepis, then you might have found the perfect distro for you.

I only warn you, because when I was new to Linux, I was impressed with so many distros that I installed another one almost every month(=as soon as something promising was announced at distrowatch. I bruned some 80 CDs along the way... all in trash now. :D). But after some years of multi-distro shuffling I found myself going back to my roots: RedHat/Fedora (started with RH7.2) and Mandriva.

Wait some weeks, play around with Mepis and wait until your first "enthusiasm" cools down.  If you are still overly impressed with Mepis, then you might have found the perfect distro for you.

I only warn you, because when I was new to Linux, I was impressed with so many distros that I installed another one almost every month(=as soon as something promising was announced at distrowatch. I bruned some 80 CDs along the way... all in trash now. :D). But after some years of multi-distro shuffling I found myself going back to my roots: RedHat/Fedora (started with RH7.2) and Mandriva.

That makes alot of sense, seeing how many distros went up, then down, on my lone desktop box, always to be replaced by Mandrake...again. Which is why Im not touching the MDK. Its home and its comfortable and its got more than what I need. I figured getting a laptop was the experiment box...but if Mepis is any indication at all of Debian life (which it may not be) I am very impressed and have always been drawn to Deb. If the enthusiasm cools, I may look into loading Sarge on the laptop and become bipackageable....RPM and DEB. Kinky eh?

I'd like to know at least two very different systems in Linux and with Mandriva as a constant, I figure the other will be either Deb or Slack. Slax is a great little cd, so - even knowing that -with Slackware- it's tar packages out the wazoo- i figure if it doesnt kill me, ill chalk it up to experience. Mepis does make me wonder though....how a little one disk job can be so ready to go when nearly everything else out there has 'issues' whether its sound, or USB, or dvd or....hopefully, in its way, mepis proves to be an industry benchmark for the next wave and we'll see more out of the box readiness ?!

Of course, instead of changing distros on ones puter, one could always just buy more puters.... :P

Whatever you do, stay away from the Mepis Lovers site!

Er, unless you're into touchy feely, self congratulatory, "Mepis is cool!" ad nauseum...

Its not for newbs, its for lobotomy patients....

Excuse me for a moment, I have an extreme urge to go off and burn a life size effigy of Harry Potter....

(Leaves)

True.

Mepis is pretty good though.

I often recommend it came across it last year when living in Dublin. Always mix it up with morphix.........