Sound Problems

Guest MadDogE134

Guest MadDogE134

i am having a problem running UT2004 and Teamspeak at the same time. i am a linux newcomer and i would like to ask a few n00bie questions.

first off does Mandrake 10 Official Download use ALSA or OSS for it's sound generation?

i was reading where many were having trouble with the in-game VoIP not working but i haven't tried mine... i prefer to use Teamspeak. but the problem i am having is that i cannot run the game and comms at the same time.

i had posted over at www.linuxquestions.org in the newbie section and was told it sounds as if i was using OSS... but i have no clue as to what is packaged in Mandrake and this would be the best place to find out. :)

off topic, i have read also that you can re-compile the libs (i reckon that is libraries) to run with one's specific system for an increased performance gain over the stock libs that shipped with UT2004. that was posted over on the Atari forums and if it is true... could someone explain exactly how that would be done? they claim that the source code which is needed was shipped on the UT2004 CD's.

so if anyone can lead a newborne by the hand... it would be greatly appreciated :)

AFAIK Mandrake will use either ALSA or OSS depending on your sound-card. ALSA is becomming the preferred system, but does not yet support all of the hardware out there.

If you're running a Soundblaster Live, then Mandrake is probably using OSS; anything else (especially on-board sound) will most likely be running on ALSA.

You could make sure with proc... something like:

root@FreezerBurn simon # cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.4rc2 (Tue Mar 30 08:19:30 2004 UTC).
Compiled on May 26 2004 for kernel 2.6.6.

is what I'd do on my Gentoo system... also remember that a lot of games rely on ALSA emulating OSS...

Most user use the ALSA output. You can choose between the different sound-systems e.g. in the k-control center. I had to change to ALSA, because most applications crashed with OSS, especially XMMS. By the way, if you start some applications, check their native sound settings also. With XMMS, I had to change OSS to ALSA in the "Options" menu, too, otherwise, it froze.

Guest MadDogE134

i am using an old Sound Blaster 16 PCI... so i reckon that would be OSS like the Live! model? also i am using gnome does that matter? or is the K-Control Center like the Gnome System Configuration Tool?

as for Gentoo.... sounds good in theory :) but i could never get it to create a bzImage on the install so i gave up :(

Edited by MadDogE134

Guest MadDogE134

ok... forget the previous question about the Control Center... i found it :) i have changed over to ALSA but still the same problem... if i start up teamspeak... no sound in UT2004 :( it's a major drag so if you guys have any ideas... i am open for suggestions :)