External Modems

spider200

I'm using a US Robotics Sportster (can't remember the exact details off-hand), and it works fine, without having to do anything :D I just plugged it in and off it went! It's rather old, though, so there's probably something better around now.

Edited by alexpank

Same here US Robotics Sportster, you can probally get one on ebay I would guess. Im sure there are newer ones out there, but mine runs great and a used one should be cheaper I would think. Maybe find some lucky stiff would ugraded to dsl and see if he/she will part with theirs (I got mine from work, as did about 4 others when they went dsl).

You'll have to tell it which port the modem is connected to. The default setting is modem, but your modem will be (I'm at work not at myhome pc) something like ttys1 or ttys0 or USB perhaps. As you are configuring your dial up, it will be under device tab (I Think). This is all in the kppp, have it ping your modem, if it doesnt respond you'll have to change (like from ttys0 to ttys1, etc.) I wish I was at the house and could give you better advice, but It's not too difficult.

I've got a sportster 56k also. it's my backup. I still have an internal isa 56k (in my one and only isa slot) I get comperable responce time with either. Any external modem you plug in through the serial port will work. But watch out for the usb modems. Some are infamous winmodems.