Mandrake moving to X.org

MoonChild

I'm sure people are aware of this, but just in case...

If you install Xorg and all of the font, xfs, etc files for it; make sure you reboot afterwards so the correct font server will be started.

Xorg is in cooker right now, meaning it WILL be in 10.1 (especially after that announcement). I installed it this morning and from what I've seen, I like it. It uses a different configuration file (/etc/X11/xorg.conf) but the format of the file is exactly the same as the XF86Config-4 file.

anyone use it on mandrake with nvidia yet? What driver are you using?

Yup, out of an accident (again). urpmi.update -a -f && urpmi --auto-select, not really reading what the console output tells me, Enter, wonder about the load of bundles being installed, "oh. oop."

Reboot, no prob. The cooker release symlinks your existing XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf, I didn't need to reinstall anything or change any settings. Works like a charm.

You could probably get around the rebooting by restarting the xfs service by hand, but I haven't tried it. Just went the save way, i.e. reboot. ;)

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

Does that mean that linux will run any faster and look better? Will we lose some programs that were already made?

(I'm kinda clueless, barely any clue to what you talking about besides the fact that xfree86 and x.org seem to be the base of the gui's.)

Does that mean that linux will run any faster and look better? Will we lose some programs that were already made?

(I'm kinda clueless, barely any clue to what you talking about besides the fact that xfree86 and x.org seem to be the base of the gui's.)

Run faster? Maybe. Look better? Maybe. Lose programs? Not a chance.

Xorg is basically a gpl port of Xfree86-4.4 rc3, I think. It runs the same as XFree does.

XFree/Xorg is the server that enables you to see the GUI (KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, IceWM, whatever you choose)

The reason for Xorg coming into the light and the switch from XFree for every distro is due to a license change in XFree86

As the codebase for xorg is currently very close to that of XFree (AFAIK they forked at Xfree86-4.4 rc2, just before the license change) I doubt you'll see many differences just yet.

If anyone on here follows cooker closely (ie watches the output of the build system) do they know if Mandrake have started making rpms X11 agnostic?

I know a bit OT... but given how well mandrake do this.... WHy cant they market.

If you imagine they must have had meetings and worked technically how to change to X.org and be X-agnostic :D and it is quite a feat... not switching the two .. theyre so similar at the moment but the RPM architecture etc....

Another exampe of how technically good MDK are!

Also, how stable is cooker?

Im using cooker on my laptop and it seems very stable, I do have one issue though. I compile Lsongs and installed the dependencies, which includes an older version of QT. After doing this I could not start KDE, I had to re-install the new version of QT (after removing the old) and I cannot use Lsongs. (Not that I wanted to anyway, I just like the radio tuner it has)