Linux, what version to download?

knight40

Which free version of Linux is best and where can it be downloaded from?

I heard slackware is good.

Also want a version that is automatic to install, and something that works properly.

I installed Mandrake version 10,and was told the font server could possibly be messed up.

On two newer pc's and neither mandrake 10 works properly.

There must be an easier version to work with.

I installed Mandrake version 8 before and had no troubles on another pc? what happened on version 10??

10 should be better and imrpoved, not worse than 8.

[moved from Hardware by spinynorman]

:lol:

You assume a great deal!

Version 10 is vastly improved over version 8.x, but that is really irrelevant! We still haven't figured out what has happened to your computer. Without more information, we can only speculate: bad download, bad burn, poor media, memory issue, harddrive issue, processor issue... there is really just too much that can be wrong to jump and fault the os. And, it might be the os on your particular hardware combo!

What have you done on the first problem? If you are too frustrated (I get that way all the time) then reinstall the os.

Dude,

Mandrake IS the most user friendly distro and the easyest to install. I've gone through every version since 6.0 and they were all better than the previous one.

I tried the 'flagship' - RedHat and gave up on it quickly. I'm too lazy to move away from Mandrake. (Read that as busy... :)

I almost forgot - I installed 10 on three different hardware configurations, including a laptop, successfully. Only one glitch, with the eth0 not coming up at boot, easy enough to correct.

Edited by somedude

I installed Mandrake version 10,and was told the font server could possibly be messed up.

If that is all that is wrong with this setup... should b easy enough to fix.

On two newer pc's and neither mandrake 10 works properly.

Newer systems, usually mean newer hardware, that is normally made with another OS in mind. I believe all distros take a while to catch up to support newer hardware.

It all can probably be fixed... and become a nice stable working system... with some more info on the problems at hand.

It's funny now that I remember how I downloaded so many CDs for Mandrake (version 6, 7, 8 etc) but I never got the nerve to install it. Now with 10 I am very happy :jester: (I just gotta find how to disable my PCI sound card so I can use the onboard sound)

I heard SuSE was garbage. lol but I can't really say since I've never used it.

And as a new Linux user myself, I can only give you one advice:

Know thy SHELL

(TM by me :headbang: )

Edited by subc

There is no such things as the best or ultuimate distro, it depends what you wanna make it do/use ot for.

Ive never seen a distro that sucked, somewhat surprisingly. Perhaps a couple that didnt confirm to my ideas but that doesnt mean they suck.

MDK 10 is a nice distro to start off with if you wanna learn linux but its not the easiest. (It might be the easiest FREE one ... )

The more handholding distros like lycoris and linspire/lindows, xandros etc are all fine worktools but not much fun and not begging to teach you things like Mandrake will.

Regarding slackware, gentoo et al thee are purist distro's, the sort of thing you might gravitate to for a challenge and more control after mandrake but not Id say distro's to get your feet wet with.

It's funny now that I remember how I downloaded so many CDs for Mandrake (version 6, 7, 8 etc) but I never got the nerve to install it. Now with 10 I am very happy :jester: (I just gotta find how to disable my PCI sound card so I can use the onboard sound)

I heard SuSE was garbage. lol but I can't really say since I've never used it.

And as a new Linux user myself, I can only give you one advice:

Know thy SHELL

(TM by me :headbang: )

quick fix to disable a pci sound card to get onboard to work : remove the pci card.

As for what distro, I really liked Suse. But Suse doesnt compare to MDK in terms to the install tool yast2 vs. urpmi urpmi wins hands down (but isnt as pretty) If I had no need to install extra programs (and plf stuff)

urpmi rocks :headbang:

QUOTE (knight40 @ Jun 7 2004, 04:44 PM)

If that is all that is wrong with this setup... should b easy enough to fix.

Thats nice, but I am new to Linux, HOW do you fix the font server problem??

on one pc, everyhting appears to work properly, except the menus are just lines in them, no text.

I can bring up open office ok, and menus work in that fine, and I can read text etc.

So apparently, it must be with the OS portion of the menu system?

HOW do I fix it?

That sounds like a bad download or a bad burn since the same problem happened on two different machines.

Did you run the md5sums on the downloaded ISO files before burning them?

Maybe a different cd media or burning as the slowest speed will help. It helps alot keeping the speed down.

That is what i thought too.

Trying a different set of disks.

The problem on the first Pc I think is the damn integrated graphics controller, Intel 82810E, I just get the command line, no boot into Linux GUI.

The second Pc is the same problem mentioned in previous post.

Where can I get the fix for the intel 82810E graphics?

thanks

• 1 month later...

I did have 9.2 installed but decided to try 10. It kept locking up at different points during the installation. So now I'm going out and trying different distros. Just downloaded Suse 9.1. Gonna try that in alittle while.