PCLinuxOS Preview 7

bvc: firefox, mozilla, konqueror

grendal: live installer worked for me, I've created a linux ext3 partition beforehand, but there is now an advanced option: this will launch harddrake, you can create and format the new partition (but be aware that harddrake has a very nasty, well, feature or bug, dunno: after creating the partition, you think now you can format that thing immediately in the same step, but that does not work, and you see no error message. Best bet is to reboot, and then to format ...)

The installation of lilo is still very very basic. If you install it to mbr, it doesn't add Windows or other Linux systems, you have to do it manually after rebooting. I installed it to / of the root partition, and edited my existing lilo.

One more problem. On the LiveCD itself the fstab is ok, detecting of cdrom drives and all partitions is ok. After the installation to the hd, you'll get a weird fstab, to say it friendly. You have to edit/change the entries. Not easy for an newbie. - It's not a special bug in pclos but a known problem of the mklivecd scripts.

Btw Texstar decided for kernel 2.4.22 for the livecd, too many problems at the moment for LiveCD's with kernel 2.6.x

So far looks real good. I have to add the acpi=ht option to get it working again (acpi issue). I have some problems with my network card, but I have that with every "live" cd. Heck the only way I could get it working in Gentoo was to compile the driver into the kernel (natsemi).

Here is a pick of it:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?act...=post&id=119905

It's working great for me, I've been on PCLOS for quite some time now and have very much enjoyed being part of it.

7? I guess I missed 6.

There was a 6 kind of, it was released out to the mirrors for some beta testing, but it still had a few too many bugs for full release, so it was pulled within a few hours. Rather than encourage the confusion that went around from this mystery fly by Tex decided to make the new release P7.

I've never had any trouble with the installer, what have you run into that is causing problems??

Capn

And me without broadband.. :wall::wall::wall:

I still have PCLinuxOS preview 5 that is updated as far as I could using dialup (which includes KDE 3.2.2), but it seems buggier each update. I will try installing Preview 7 in my laptop as soon as I find someone with broadband to download it for me.

I wasn't really aware of PCLOS until I read through this thread. It sounds great. By "preview 7" does that mean there will soon be a "7 Final" or what? ie: how are releases of PCLOS done...?

It sounds convenient to me. Stuff working out of the box that you normally have to get working yourself - mp3, nvidia, blah blah.

It is very nice if you want things to work out of the box ;)

My limited understanding is that it is considered beta and working towards release #1. preview7,8,9>release 1. I'm sure someone else can set me straight on this though. Texstar doesn't like buggy junk B)

It is very nice if you want things to work out of the box

I was reading a review recently of one of the major distros - I forget which one - and the reviewer, an experienced linux user, commented that he KNOWS how to install the nvidia driver, and he was just tired of doing it over & over & over & over again until he was sick of doing it. He said that for beginners AND experienced users it was convenient to have stuff like that work out of the box. I thought it was a good point. He wasn't just talking about the nvidia driver, but also all the other little things too.