New to Linux - How to delete files?

subc

Well, this is the first time EVER that I try Linux (in fact, IM posting from the lastest Mandrake release <10.0> ) and I had several problems with the installation, but everything works right.

Windows? I know it inside out, so Linux is a test for me. The only thing I've done so far is installing the NVIDIA drivers under Linux for my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (and that was a hassle :lol: )

Since I am a multimedia designer (in win: Photoshop, Lightwave, Vegas Video, etc etc.) I decided to start using Linux to create all of my work with Open Source and free software for Linux (Video, audio and graphics editing software), so to get me started, I wanted to install Blender.

After downloading and unpacking blender to /home/username/blender/ I double clicked the blender 'executable' (latest version of blender <2.33a> ) and nothing happened, so then I read that from a Terminal window I could unpack it to /usr/local, and I did using Konsole (following the instructions from blender site), but still it wouldn't work for some reason (it just doesn't load).

So now I have a folder in /usr/local that I can't delete from Konqueror.

I tried the Konsole, but a DEL or DELETE command is useless (since they are not commands recognized by Konsole).

Any help about why Blender doesn't work or how to delete the Blender folder from /usr/local ?

thanks, and welcome to me to the world of Linux,

[moved from Installing Mandrake by spinynorman]

Edited by spinynorman

Guest anon

Welcome to the board.

You can get blender in a ready made RPM format from the Contrib folder or any mirror site with the Contrib directory. This RPM format will auto install the program for you.

To remove a file use the command

rm (option) files_name

Open up a consol or terminal and type

man rm

for more info.

If you want to use a graphical way of removing/viewing files, launch the "file manager - super user mode" in your start menu. This will give you root access and permissions.

Its an easy way to do things, but i strongly urge you to learn to use the consol or terminal, its an invaluable tool.

Apart from blender, you might also want to check out "The Gimp" for some of your work.

hi anon (I am using KDE on an Athlon XP machine)

the RM command works perfectly. Now I just gotta read the manual to understand the options. thanks a lot.

As far as getting Blender as a RPM, I couldn't find my Contrib folder (and I looked! lol) so I went to google and found the next address:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1221083/com/blender-2.33a-1thac.i586.rpm.html

and from there I got the file called blender-2.33a-1thac.i586.rpm (2.3 megs)

That one is the latest release btw.

Well, from Konqueror I double click on the file (or right click and select 'Software Installer') and first I get this:

You are about to install the following software package on your computer:

/home/luis/blender-2.33a-1thac.i586.rpm

You may prefer to just save it. What is your choice?

I say Install it and then I get something saying:

Some package requested cannot be installed:
blender-2.33a-1thac.i586 (due to unsatisfied libopenal.so.0)
do you agree ?

so I say YES and... that's about it. Nothing happens either :wall:

I don't know what's going on :help: so I will try with an older version of Blender as RPM and see what happens.

Also, I will try to install Wings3D to see the results I get.

Thanks for your comments. :cheesy:

urpmi will resolve dependencies for you. It's worth getting it set up properly and it's not hard to do.

Once you have it set up, you just need to type "urpmi <packagename>" as root and it will install the package as well as any other file needed for it to run

Go to the Easy Urpmi site and get it going

Hi phunni...

Hey, thanks a lot for the advice. You can tell that I am a complete incompetent in Linux (for now) :mellow:

But thanks for your advice. I installed libopenal and after inserting one of the installation CD's I was able to setup Blender with no problems, and it works! :thumbs:

btw, so far I've been geeting the RPM's from rpm.pbone.net... is that a good place to go?

Now Linux is getting familiar for me :headbang:

urpmi will resolve dependencies for you. It's worth getting it set up properly and it's not hard to do.

Once you have it set up, you just need to type "urpmi <packagename>" as root and it will install the package as well as any other file needed for it to run

The BEST is like mdg says setting up easy urpmi.

Not every last RPM is included but when they are it is SO much easier...

The dependencies which can be lots(hundreds sometimes) are automatically resolved and the last/best version selected.

urpmi is one of the BEST things in mandrake compared to RH or Suse ....

p.s. your question has now got me interested in some modelling .....

if you have some time then document your linux experiences and post em... in art and design Im sure lots of people will be interested!

Well, I have been up and discovering Linux since last night at 9pm (now it's 5:30am), and it has been the same (or 'worse') for the past 3 days... :unsure:

LINUX is ADDICTIVE!

:lol:

if you have some time then document your linux experiences and post em... in art and design Im sure lots of people will be interested!

I am documenting my experiences, and one of my goals is to get more people in the video editing and graphics design field to use Linux.

I am documenting pretty much everything... since the very few and useful Console commands I am learning to my actual feeling for Mandrake over XP (the one I've used for years now).

I'll keep you posted (and asking questions too). thanks

You know what it bothers me a lot?

that easy urpmi is kinda easy once installed, but for some apps it keeps asking me for the freakin CD4 (that I don't have)... so it's back to the basics. I must still install some dependecies by hand (tried to install VideoLan player and it needs a lot of stuff from CD4, so I must install one by one if I want it :angry: )

Why dont we have a look at the FAQs, it covers setting up urpmi as well as solving dependencies.

RPM 02 -- How to use Urpmi and how to solve dependencies.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=10600

mmm, well... I did, some time ago, but I still get some soft asking me for some dependencies that I must install by hand.

It's alright, I will be buying the official version anyway so I can get the 4th CD ;)

You can buy it or simply setup urpmi correctly. At any time, you can erase your software sources and reset them up using the information at easyurpmi. I actually try a few different sites to see which is faster. A good tip with the site is to do one at a time. This way if there is an issue, you know what the issue is. Sometimes I try to set them all up at the same time and a site is not available and then something else goes wrong so on so on.

You sound like you will be a good addition to our board. Good luck and let us know whenever you need help ;)

You may also be interested in this 3d moddeling program . I've read that some people find it easier to create models with this and load them then into blender ...

http://www.wings3d.com/

I hope you get urpmi setup, after that, you should have a lot of software available :).

good luck and welcome.

I just saw that it is not available in rpm-format. It is an sh-file like the nvidia ...

to unpack it:

tar -xvzf <file>

or maybe gzip -d <file>

depending on the compression used (think the second). Or maybe you use a graphical unzipper ..also possible ofcourse :).

to run the installer (I think..):

sh <file.sh>

Maybe we should put this one on our todo-list for rpm-packages ...

Edited by Michel