nForce2 or KM400 chipset motherboard?

sud_crow

Hi!

Ive got your answers Gowaitor...i mean, Gowator :)

so on your 2nd point... if you get these integrated boards with video etc you might find that in 5 years when you wanna use it as an email server a component is no longer supported.

I dont plan to use it in 5 years as a server, probably i will be using it for 10 years.. thats a problem if i dont have supported hardware :)

Jokes a side, i really dont know what will happen in 5 years, but the Video of the nForce2 motherboard is a GF4MX so its not so bad and if nVidia doesnt die like Voodoo, well, i might have some drivers to use it in the future. If not, there is always a good old Linux distribution with some X and Vesa compatible stuff.

anything built into the board is thrown away when you get a new board whereas if you can take stuff off it can be reused, traded, swapped etc.

Actually, i pass every PC i had (or mother or anything i upgrade) to my father's computer, or my brother's one. So i usually dont throw things away. Actually.. never.

---

I have a nForce MoBo, the magnificent Abit NF7-SL (with integrated Sound and Lan).

I have ran ML from 9.0 - 10.1 cooker with it, as of ML 10.0 Community everything workes out of the box (only the APIC-thing).

If you prefer ML 9.0 - 9.2, check this board for some guidelines on how to get the onboard NIC to work.

I would go for the nForce-chipset!

thanks for the info on that!

---

for the cheap ASUS A7V8X-MX, the keywords to search are:

try A7V8X-MX

then try

VIA KM400

VIA VT8235 CE

VIA UniChrome Graphics

ADI AD1980

VIA VT6103

you must find them on Google/Linux, it may give you a good idea of the potential problems

trying just to find "VT8235" I found that

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/179103

there is many other that must reply your questions.

good luc

Hi, i already _trust_ the A7V8X-MX, and i already found some information about it, i was more worried in the nForce 2 mobo, the A7N8X-VM, as this is more hard to find information, actually, about this particular motherboard i found almost nothing... but i did find some information about nForce2, the problem is mainly that i cannot seem to find some usefull Linux/nForce2 IGP information, as this chip is not too common, less in the Linux world. Though i have read lots of information about nForce2 SPP in the windows world and enough in the Linux. But this last one, doesnt have an integrated graphic card.

Also most of the problems and things i found, are really outdated... so i dont know how the new nForce drivers work with the old problems.. but i guess they do it quite nice as there seems to be almost no _new_ problems.

---

Now back with Gowator!

m sure you have your reasons, just remember things like if the graphics is onboard and gets damaged (like the cable pulls on it) then you end up adding an extra board.

Mostly.. actually the only reason is money and urgency.

By the way, i dont plan to pull the cables off :)

Ive had bad experiences with the all-in-ones becuase often they are super-budget and things like the mouse/keyb connectors (PS2) or the video connector (DSUB 15) are soldered directly onto the board....

Asus is a good brand, and i dont think they would do a bad product, even if it is for the low budget segment. If they use a bad chipset is another story.

I also had problems turning stuff off in bios, that is you turn it off but its still reported on a lspci. My email server is an old P266 and it hasnt got much RAM to start off but the minimum i can get the onboard graphics to use is 8MB and I cant actually switch it off! even if I add a PCI card I still have to manually write the XF86config and specify the busid of the card!

This kind of problems are from old and real low budget motherboards, as PC Chips and such.. i used to have one, although it was with windows and wasnt so bad... choppy sound and slow video, but worked... Any wya, as i sayd, this are Asus mothers and the chipsets are solid and stable, as they are almost the same as the high end ones, except for some less features (sata, firewire or those things) and integrated video.

dragonmage says it well i think, if you were buying 100 for an office its worth it but just a single your not saving that much. Its funny but like I said in my last post the upgrade situation seems to have completely changed...

Well... maybe in the US its not a big saving.. but i dont have the great online stores and free shipping you do... i have to buy to a real bastard that increases the price a lot or sells without a ticket if i want to save some money (and this last one thing i wont do)...

For example, the Samsung 955DF you can buy it for around 200 dollars, here it is 280 U$S.

The A7n8X-vm is 115 U$S while at amazon is 90U$S...

And so and forth... i have to but the mother, the processor, the memory, the HD, the case and a modem... if you increase the price in each just 5 dollars, its a total of 25 dollars, which is 75 pesos... and thats a lot... so imagine if you increse more than 5 in some items. I have to save in everything i can, but i want quality products, thats why i prefer to spend more on a good mother (as the two stated here) and buy a slower processor.

---

The enlightenment is gone!!!!

Gowator has listed many valid reasons why all in ones are poor hardware. Even if you leave the computer alone on the inside, simply connecting a mouse and keyboard can lead you to problems termed "abuse" by the various manufacturers. I have found that a low cost board with low cost cards is actually more reliable than saving a few bucks on an all in one.

:afro:

Low cost board are not good at all, i dont want real low performance and poor stability... Im naming a real good brand as ASUS and two major chipsets as VIA KM400 and nForce2 IGP, they are not bad stuff!! the point here was to choose beatween them!

Not to start thinking in another options.. unless you tell me a good alternative with name and number!

This are not the cheapes mobos on the block, im considering them coz they are good and have a good price, not because they are cheap. I could get a "whole in one" with an integrated processor for about half the money this mobos cost... so, im not thinking in acquiring a bad product.. just wanted the best of the two.

Hope i didnt sound rude or anything, i dont think so and i didnt wanted to, but there is always room for misinterpretations, i really apreciate all the feedback and thank you a lot for taking the time posting it.

:headbang: