GNOME 2.8 may have Ximian Industrial as the defaul

linux_learner

this kinda surprised me. to hear gnome 2.8 is comming out? what do some of yall think about gnome intigrating with ximian?

http://www.gnomedesktop.org/article.php?sid=1818

gnome2.8 is not comming out anytime soon. I agree that gnome needs a better default. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't. I don't use Industrial. Ximian is a company, gnome is not, integrated? Isn't that what Ximian is already? :unsure: ...another version of gnome?

Industrial is just a theme (or more so a theme engine). It's not the same as Ximian Desktop (although Ximian Desktop uses it) - just to be sure no one confuses the two.

I would imagine so :) that's why I was pointing out the difference ;) (Ximian made the theme, it's just not Ximian desktop is what I was saying)

You can get the Industrial theme off of art.gnome.org, the same with Mandrake's galaxy and red hat's...well, whatever it's called :)

Edited by tyme

You can get the Industrial theme off of art.gnome.org, the same with Mandrake's galaxy and red hat's...well, whatever it's called

I guess you're refering to Bluecurve?

yeah, that's it. it's ugly, so i never bothered remembering the name ;) (don't know why i remember "galaxy", actually...it's even worse)

Anyways, I understand they are also considering the Industrial mod, Indubstrial - which I personally like better ;)

you're right its back up.  It was down for quite a while though...

it's still not back to it's full power. it seems that there was a vuln. in the code for it, which is probably how the hackers got in, so the code had to be completely re-written and verified before being allowed to be put back up.