More mouse problems under 10.0

jerrytaff

I've recently upgraded from 9.2 to 10.0. My GE cordless (IR) PS2 wheel mouse worked fine previously, but now on boot it does not work. The receiver led blinks in response to movement but the cursor does not move, and it does not respond to any button presses.

If after booting to X, I unplug the receiver from the computer, and plug it in again it works fine. I borrowd another ps2 mouse (corded) which works OK

Has anyone got any ideas?

jerrytaff

what does the mouse portion of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 say?

easy way is to as root do;

cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Buttons" "5"

EndSection

Make sure "Protocol" is not "Auto".

How many buttons?

I've tried all sorts in XFree86Config-4.

It originally set itself to auto, but I restored my previous version from 9-2 and it looks identical to your quote. It makes no difference whatsoever. Auto works just as well/badly! as PS2/aux. Surely there cannot be anything wrong with the config file because after unplugging and plugging in it works fine. It also survives restarting X, so I suggest that its nothing in the X config. It doesn't survive power down. That suggests to me that its a hardware probe that's failing.

exactly that:

[jem@cpc1-watf3-5-0-cust145 jem]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/mouse

MOUSETYPE=imps2

XMOUSETYPE=IMPS/2

FULLNAME="PS/2|Generic PS2 Wheel Mouse"

XEMU3=no

WHEEL=yes

device=psaux

And from XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "layout1"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Screen "screen1"

EndSection

No "Buttons". I'll try some and let you know the outcome.

One 345 Mbyte download, and 77 package updates later .... YES, I have all the updates (as of 30 minutes ago) and it made no difference.

When I upgraded to 10.0 the lilo.conf was updated, and I now have an old linux entry. If I select that, I get the old 9.2 screen during boot, but then it loads kde 3.2. Presumably, I am running all the latest packages and config files, only with the old kernel 2.4.22-10The mouse works fine under that option! But I don't know which packages are compatible. I also have kernel 2.4.25-2 which seems to have been installed at the same time as I upgraded to 10.0 as well as 2.6.3-7 which was updated as part of tonight's update.

So, If using one of the 2.4 kernels is a solution, what is the downside to not using the latest 2.6.3-7?

When I upgraded to 10.0......

.....So, If using one of the 2.4 kernels is a solution, what is the downside to not using the latest 2.6.3-7?

ahhh yes that's rt you did an Upgrade. Not good.

2.4 vs 2.6? Nothing really, if everything worked with 2.4 then everything worked

:D

2.6.3-7 is not the latest either. I know they got to 2.6.3-10....don't know after that. I have 2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk from cooker. I don't think your problem is directly kernel related though I could be wrong.

As I said at the start of this thread, " I recently upgraded from 9.2 to 10.0.." I don't understand your "not good" comment .. please expand.

The upgrade to 10.0 was using the "official" download isos that became available on 28th May. The update i did on 9th June was from one of the mirror sites for "official" as directed from urpmi.org. I'd have thought it a bad idea to update indiscriminately from "cooker" as many of those packages could be bugged.

The question about kernel 2.4.x is really because more often than not when downloading rpms, there are different versions for different mandrake versions, and often comments saying "only compatible with kernel x.y or later ". How do I find out if any of the packages I have installed needs 2.6? I use firewire for video capture. Am I correct to believe that at 2.4 its support was only "experimental"?

For some reason, my soundcard doesn't work when I boot under the "old_linux" option. It always worked under 9.2 before I installed 10.0, and it works fine under 2.6. Could this be something to do with the apparent reorganisation of modules.conf and associated files.

Bottom line - I really don't want to go backwards, so can someone please shed some light on how to get the damn thing to work from boot under 10.0 and kernel 2.6.x? or am I the only one that is affected.

Has anyone got any code that I could run at boot to poll the ps2 interface, to investigate what's going on, and perhaps do in software the equivalent reset that happens when I unplug it and plug it back in?