Is it possible to change rights in GUI...

Huerzo

Well, I know this in quite a sensitive thing to some people, but I ask anyway. Is there any programs available to Mandrake/KDE, which would allow me to change file rights (rights owned by root) wihout using console (su + chmod)? I'm looking for a plug-in (or program, don't know the right term in this case), that would ask (require) me the correct root password if I'm trying to change in KDE file rights owned by root and then proceed allowing me to save the file. Just like Mandrake Control Center used to ask in MDK9.2 (in MDK10 it won't ask anymore). Of course when this disk operation is done, I'd continue using KDE with my user rights, not root rights. So just a little tweak, saves some time and it would be handy.

Or does this feature already exist, but I just haven't spotted it? Or is there a good reason why this thing cannot be done? (Have I now touched the sacred ground I'll burned in hell where little :devil:s are torturing me with pieces of broken window :D when trying to do "root only"-things via GUI)

Roland, thanks (a biiiig one) for replying, but it wasn't exactly what I'm looking for. When I was writing a wish to KDE developers, I found (not suprisingly), that somebody else had already wished the same:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4414

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=54855

In the second report developers said "techically not really possible in that way (not sane)". Would somebody kindly explain me why it's impossible, especially because Mandrake Control Center in MDK9.2 basically asked root password in a similar way even I was logged in as a common user? I just thought only a inputbox asking root password is required, if file is accessible and owned only by root...

I don't have a full explanation, but I'd say theres a major difference between starting mcc (which must be done as root) and changing permissions (which doesn't always have to be root).

Also you're calling mcc from a terminal or icon, changing permissions would have to be launched from within konq.

Qchem, also many thanks to you. I solved my problem, but I'm not so glad from it. Because I'm afraid it's possible only because of bug or something. Well, try it yourselves and comment then.

I solved my problem following way - maybe this isn't the way it should be done, but anyway I need no more console hassle when editing text files. One thing that amazes me, is that file permissions aren't changed even file is saved - if "normal user" has created the file, and KWrite (now opened by root) saves it, permissions are created to "normal user", not to root as I expected. I have a hunch that this is not generally a good thing, because KDE developers said (in those bug messages I posted) "opening files owned by root from KWrite isn't sane". Could somebody wiser guru say is this a saving error or a feature?:screwy:

Asterisk (*) means right menu term is my wild guess, I'm using translated version of KDE...

-opened KDE's Control Center

-selected Parts (*)

-selected File types (*)

-searched for .txt (plain)

-selected KWrite

-then Edit (*)

-selected tab Application (*)

-selected More settings (*)

-checked "Run as another user" and filled "User name"-field with "root"

That's all. Now I can edit .txt-files owned by root from KDE without console...KDEInit brings BTW error message to screen if .txt-file is originally owned by an other user than root when exiting KWrite, which states "KDEInit couldn't run program 'kdesu'". It's naturally KDE's su trying to do something, but does this message carry any meaning, because .txt-file can anyway be saved. If you know any bad side-effects this "trick" is causing, please let me know...

Edited by Huerzo

The only "bad" effect is that you should get used to deliberately being root when you need to be. Otherwise, be a user. There are several programs that give the option to run as root, and to save the password, which I deliberately don't do. Root can render your system useless without a care in the world. So, being root should always be a part of your actions.

Of course, being root all the time is in itself not a problem. But being able to commit irrepairable disaster by accident just is not something I choose to do. (When I make a disaster, I know exactly what I did so that I can recover!)

Here's another way to accomplish this:

Someday, your gonna also want to move a file... say a cool wallpaper you want to save to /usr/share/wallpaper, but you won't be able to do this either with normal konqueror because of permissions.

So, what I do is create an icon on my desktop for a "super user konqueror" right next to home, which is "normal user konqueror." This super konq allows me to browse to the files I want to edit (double clicking for me opens the file in root's kate, where I can edit it), change permissions and move them to folders owned by root.

to create this "Super Konq":

right click on empty spot on your desktop and choose "Create New --> File --> Link to Application"

under Application tab, in the line for command, put this:

kdesu konqueror