Who wants to invade and burn ATI  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to invade and burn ATI

• YES
    • NO
    • "HAHA YOU USE ATI!"

Just check out the ATi Linux forum and find out yourself:

http://www.rage3d.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Others have reported what doesn't work right so I won't repeat here.

I believe a more thorough test will show the problems and glitches it has with many other 3D application and games.

Edited by zero0w

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh...I've been dual-booting for so long anyways...well, only 6 months...but if feels longer :P

I still gotta use winblows to program too...can't understand in linux, no one else uses linux, and I'd need to learn a lotta new commands for linux.

I wasn't sure if it was worth it to get WineX or not...well, I guess this just decided for me :P

I may try it sometime when I have a bit of cash to burn...I dunno...

Besides, what are the chances that Halo will run on WineX? I have a feeling they put something in there so it wouldn't...lol...

Edited by Urza9814

ok, time to get up a petition lol :lol2:

A.T.I. get some drivers sorted for linux or else lose all your market from the open source world job done.

but hang on a minute!, didn't ATI give the specs to xfree86?

wasn't it xfree's job to develop the drivers?

if so should we not be badgering xfree?

just a thought :unsure:

reb2

but hang on a minute!, didn't ATI give the specs to xfree86?

wasn't it xfree's job to develop the drivers?

if so should we not be badgering xfree?

just a thought  :unsure:

reb2

Not all the spec, only some.

That's why Radeon 7500/8500 users can use the open source DRI driver.

But that doesn't work right for function such as S3TC (texture compression) in NWN.

• 4 weeks later...
An ATi developer commenting on the future Linux driver development can be found in this thread on OpenGL 2.0 discussion:

http://www.rage3d.org/board/showthread.php?t=33775017

You seem pretty familiar in the ATI world of 3D graphics. Have you read anywere about the Mobility line like the 9700 or 9800 being supported some day?

I'm looking at some laptops and Dell has the 30-day only selller that gets to carry the 9800 and I'm just wondering if it is to risky to buy the box and not be able to get it working for 3d anytime soon. Now with the PCIe comeing for laptops, makes it a bit harder.

I'm also looking at HP and alienware since they both come with Go5700.

Instead of Dell's, I'm also looking at Sagers, but sine Dell has the 30 day deal first, Sager can only offer the Mobility 9700.

Yeah, I know do the sure thing nv go5700 ;-) but all be damn if the Sagers don't come nicely equiped for the price, just have ati is the downside in my nv zealotry. 8)

Like you said, you are on the safe side for using nVidia GPUs in the short term.

In the long term, well, I'll suggest keep visiting the ATi Linux forum for any decent update possible. I am concerned for the ATi Linux driver development, because I too, want to have more choices. In addition, ATi driver support will help Linux achieve greater popularity, which I believe is a growing voice among user community and the industry.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a close call.....

I honestly find the nvidia stuff unstable...

not unstable like winBlows but unstable as in occaisional random lock ups...

As I remember I honestly never experienced these back with opensource drivers. (I along with a few others possibly remember when there were 15-20 graphics card vendors!)

They got bought out one after another so in a way I support the nvidia - MS comparison.

(We are talking company policies not attitude to linux here)

nvidia still havent opensourced the driver and that remains an issue...

personally my favorite card ever was a matrox G400 I still use...wityh a paltry 32MB RAM ... its still super-stable and with openGL and MPEG2 decompression etc. and other than games/blender I bet most people wouldnt notice a difference with there new top of the range nvidia!

I used to have (in Windows time) A diamond viper ... (Vesa Bus) I paid a fortune for .... diamond are now ATI... the Fire series is the forerunner of the current fire...

The non accelerated nv driver is stable and opensource btw..

I also heard there are report of random lockups with certain chipset.

In any case my experience with nVidia driver is stable 95% of the time.

Although there were occassional glitches that required re-installation of the driver sometimes.

Edited by zero0w

I guess I'm lucky, I own about 4 or 5 Nvidia cards and I've never had a lockup because of nv or nvidia drivers. I wouldn't mind if ati was supported, but nvidia does the job for me. If ATI had better support, it would have given me more options when I was buying my laptop. buy hey.........

cybrjackle - how about the elite M3 and M6 ... which are rebadged ATI cards?

The SunX driver works OK on these if i remember!

Its not so much I am supporting ATI, Im just saying nvidia is far from perfect and between nvidia and ati they have purchased/killed off most competition so now nvidia looks like the lesser of 2 evils....

Linux is usually the opposite...its a reason I like it... unlike the winworld where choice is often the lesser of 2 evils in linux its the best of 20 great open source apps!

:D :D

edits corrected winword to winworld

Edited by Gowator