ATI-Revenge

kaiocool

Who wants to invade and burn ATI  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to invade and burn ATI

• YES
    • NO
    • "HAHA YOU USE ATI!"

whole bunch of games including RTCW and nwn ( there are some issues with nwn, but it's generally very smooth and apparently less problematic than a lot of nvidia users have found.) Tuxracer is also very smooth

Framerates are good in all the games I've played but my glxgeas framerates are always about the 4000 mark

My GeForce 4 Ti4600 has glxgears showing 4,800 FPS; but glxgears isn't reliable as benchmarking.

The ATi Linux driver isn't as good as its Windows driver, that's still a problem anyway.

Otherwise the Blender folks won't have to work around the ATi driver bug (instead of ATi fixing its driver):

http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modl...article&sid=131

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh crap...I was planning to get an ATI Radeon 9600...Not good?

Crap...I HATE Nvidia...ever since we got a DELL with a GeForce MX...So what, I get a Nvidia or don't play 3D games in Linux? :unsure:

I have all nvidia and I like them just fine. (4 of them)

btw, your avatar is AWESOME! B)

If you're a Linux user, nvidia is the way to go - plain and simple.

I realy have to disagree with you this time, Tyme. :lol: you'r looking at it all wrong. It's not that nVidia is the way to go if you're using linux, it's that nvidia is the way to go, PERIOD!

I've built a lot of computers. I've used a handful of ATI's some matrox's and many, many nvidia. And you know why I keep coming back to nvidia? Because they work. Windows (any version) linux, (nearly any version) it all works. I've never stuck an nvidia video card in a mobo that should have supported it and not had it work. I've never been unable to find a good driver.

My Fiance's vidoe card in her laptop (non-upgradable of course) is an ATI and the driver is actualy OLDER than the laptop and there are no new updates for the driver.

Nvidia on the other hand, is constantly releasing new and better drivers.

And while i know it was someone else who said it, I feal I should mention the whole, more bang foryour buck with ATI lie. That's right, i called it a lie. :twisted: i see these idiotic comparisons all the time between the latest and greatest ATI at some great sale price vs. the GeForce4 at it's original msrp. Yeah that's nice, the new ati is a better deal than a 3 year old video card at bleeding edge prices, duh.

If you compare comperable models of ati and nvidia, you will find that nvidia is realy only a litle more expensive, and vastly superior. The other problem is that people go look around Fry's and they see an ATI9600, with 128MB or RAM that's been on the shelf a few years and is down to $200 and they see a GeForceFX5900 Ultra that hit the shelf last month for $300-$350 and they don't understand that just because both have 128MBof memory they are NOT comparable cards.

:'( Why does everyone like Nvidia? I HATE THEM WITH A PASSION!...Seems to me like you've got Nvidia, Intel, and M$ are all alike, and ATI, AMD, and Linux are alike...though I guess that'd be wrong with ATI not working good on Linux...but I have issues with Nvidia...I'd rather keep the system I got on this compaq...video card part of the mobo.

ATI will work with linux though...just not some games, right?

Well, there goes my plans of getting WineX...guess I'll just stay Dual-Boot...if you reinstall every month windoze really ain't THAT bad...I mean, it still sucks...but it'll run...and I have to reinstall every 30 days...because my comp died...and the system partition was screwed so I can't restore it, so I had to use the WinXP disc from my other comp...and since it's registered it'll only let me use it 30 days :P

Edited by Urza9814

> you've got Nvidia, Intel, and M$ are all alike, and ATI, AMD, and Linux are alike

I never can imagine how you could perceive Nvidia and M$ are alike.

It is ONLY because of nVidia's excellent Linux driver that the recent Star Wars Episode II can be produced on Linux with Quadro 2 GFX card:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6011

-> The Computers of ILM

Without nVidia's excellent OpenGL driver on Linux, the 3D world would have already been ruled by Microsoft and its DirectX standard. ATi is making good strive since acquisition of ArtX (and introduction of Radeon 8500); but it is nVidia who kept OpenGL going before then. It is curious how Microsoft would view nVidia on their X-box partnership (X-box 2 will be using ATi GPU) considering nVidia has enabled the Linux platform of excellent 3D graphics capability.

Edited by zero0w

maybe with your ati (I think you had a 9800!), but not with mine much older one. Linux driver for my radeon 9000 pro just plainly and really deeply sucks

Maybe it's for the raw power of your card, that you get good preformance. my a lot more dated card relies more on a good driver than your 9800.

and I used that card on windows prior I had linux and the windows driver is much , much better. I got better performance on fully (b)load(t)ed windows than now on mdk/blackbox.

Well, nVidia has full OpenGL support. ATI does not. Not even ATI's FireGL cards (Workstation) have Full OpenGL support, and that is in Windows! ATI is targeted more at Gamers than 3D CGI, and the apps that use hardware Acceleration, use OpenGL, even in Windows.

Oh, the nVidia Quadro FX 500 has both DirectX 9 and OpenGL 2.0 support!

When it came to OpenGL, ATI let me down, as well as a friend of mine.

no - you can get an ATI and play 3D games in Linux - I do it all the time with excellent performance!

Not for the games running via WineX and others that used a richer feature set of OpenGL (in fact, Quake3 is only using a small portion of OpenGL API). Tuxracer isn't a good test, and remember Radeon 9800 should be faster than a GeForce Ti4600, but the glxgears shows otherwise: it only means your ultra fast card is limited by the driver. And the Blender folks already said they have to work around the ATi driver bug if you read the post above.

I don't plan on using Blender, I don't plan really on using WineX...well, I don't need to...

I plan on playing 3 3D games: Command and Conquer Generals, Deus Ex II, and Halo. That's it.

...Direct X

Direct X

...and...let's see...Halo...T&L??? well, it ain't OpenGL (obviously...M$ made...)

Now that I think about it, I've never seen a game that DIDN'T use DirectX...ever.

Wait...maybe BnWII...nope, still Direct X

It just goes to show you are giving up something for your ATi card which you wouldn't have to if (1) you are on Windows or (2) on nVidia display card, or (3) when ATi pulls itself together to create some decent OpenGL driver on Linux.

I guess it's possible that I'm not fully using the power of my card - but I have never been dissapointed with it's performance (the opposite in fact) and I have never had any trouble playing any games - including OpenGL ones on it.

Maybe the driver could be better - maybe even Nvidia cards are better, but the people here saying that ATI cannot be used on Linux or are rubbish on Linux are just plain wrong. My card is fantastic (even if it could be better) and I've been really pleased with it.