• YES
    • NO
    • "HAHA YOU USE ATI!"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wolfzbane

I use a 9500 Pro, and although I am a linux-noob I went through all the shit to try and make that 3D work.

No go.

I thought it was just me until I stumbled upon this forum.

I never liked ATI cards anyway, just got this one 'cause I got a real good deal on it and gave it a chance........... never again.

I'll stick with Nvidia from now on.

But talking of Nvidia, anyone here has a fully working card in Linux? In Mandrake 10 more specifically.

An answer will surely affect my next graphic card purchase.

I avoid ATI purchases because of their poor Linux support despite promises a year ago.

From what I heard, the Linux driver developer at ATI refused to move to Canada (he's in Germany with the FireGL team I believe), so the Linux driver effort is sort of stalling right now.

i dont understand, why would someone have to move to another country to help devolop a driver?

Well, it is ATi's business and staff decision, don't ask me why they have to hire a German developer to do that, or why ATi has to merge two development teams (German and Canada) into one.

Truth is OpenGL driver development is rare talent, look at the driver of Matrox or other display card company in the graphic business.

However, people should have known that both nVidia and ATi (after acquisition of ArtX, the GameCube Graphic Unit designer) are sons of the good old SGI; both are now managed and served by talented SGI old-timers, the cutting edge 3D technologist a decade ago (and OpenGL creator in particular).

Edited by zero0w

• 1 month later...

damnit :D burn them!!! :twisted:

I have a Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb and though it's an old card it worked great when I had windows.

Now after some months on linux only I decided that I need a game. Subscribed at transgaming->cedega.

Only then noticed that I have no 3D acceleration. To cut it short I spentabout 8 hours yesterday to get the damn driver work properly and... @@#$^#@$%@ that @#$#$ driver is awful.

My favourite game Morrowind lags like it's on a 3dfx voodoo . 2D is nice and flawless , but 3D just sucks (although I have all gl enabled and all).

next card is Nvidia!

If you're a Linux user, nvidia is the way to go - plain and simple.

nonsense (in the politest possible way ;) ) - my 9800 pro absolutely flies under Linux. I get fantastic frame rates

Which game / application and framerate are you talking about?

whole bunch of games including RTCW and nwn ( there are some issues with nwn, but it's generally very smooth and apparently less problematic than a lot of nvidia users have found.) Tuxracer is also very smooth

Framerates are good in all the games I've played but my glxgeas framerates are always about the 4000 mark

Mandrake 10 , Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb , P4 1.8 , DDR 512mb 266mhz

fglrxinfo

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

display: :0.0  screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9000 DDR Generic

OpenGL version string: 1.3 (X4.3.0-3.9.0)

$ glxgears

Loading required GL library /usr/lib/libGL.so.1

9233 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1846.600 FPS

9441 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1888.200 FPS

9417 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1883.400 FPS

9381 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1876.200 FPS

9402 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1880.400 FPS

9303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1860.600 FPS

9389 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1877.800 FPS

9349 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1869.800 FPS

Unfortunately, it's rather hard to find Laptops with NVidia cards. The only brand that uses Nvidia graphic card is Toshiba.. and they are rather expensive. Most laptops either uses Intel built in graphics (suck) or ATI (not much better).

Yeah.. ATI support sux for high end linux use. Matrox is the best, followed by NVidia.

oh crap...I was planning to get an ATI Radeon 9600...Not good?

Crap...I HATE Nvidia...ever since we got a DELL with a GeForce MX...So what, I get a Nvidia or don't play 3D games in Linux? :unsure:

Edited by Urza9814