1. 1. Who wants to invade and burn ATI

• YES
    • NO
    • "HAHA YOU USE ATI!"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, you must've heard this thing over a million times, no 3d acceleration, 2d is nice and dandy, but no 3d = no ut, and no ut mean... mean.... no ut.... yeah. Its self explanatory, i use a radeon 9600 pro. Why cant they just realease a driver that works once you go through the whole thing,... damnnit!

Guest krazy

For some reason I can't vote in the poll... but anyway I managed to get some 3d accelleration in mdk10, but some things like armagetron just lock up the computer completely and I have to hit reset, so my vote goes to YES.

I avoid ATI purchases because of their poor Linux support despite promises a year ago.

From what I heard, the Linux driver developer at ATI refused to move to Canada (he's in Germany with the FireGL team I believe), so the Linux driver effort is sort of stalling right now.

Funny thing, but the nVidia Quadros are better than the FireGL cards for the mainstream 3D CGI applications (Maya, etc.). Tom's Hardware benchmarked the latest of the two, along with a different make, and the Quadro came out on top.

I have an ATI XPert 2000 Pro AGP (32 MB) and my computer locks up running Daz Studio (in beta now) with this card. Studio uses Hardware OpenGL. Yet, with my GeForce 4 MX440SE (Lite version), Studio runs just fine.

screw Nvidia, wait, I use an Nforce 2, I just cannot like Nvidia, ATI is just, you know, way more performance for your buck, 9600pro, I am not a psycho gamer, casual. If I were psycho, I still woudn't get an Nvidia, I would be getting a high end ATI.

Well I got a second hand Ti4600, works good here. Of course it does not have DirectX 9 feature, but I doubt you will have games / application taking advantage of that under Linux in any time soon.

OpenGL 2.0 spec is going to released in Siggraph this year, nVidia may be able to pull a software emulation mode to support OpenGL 2 on older hardware, under Linux.