Linux vs Macitontosh

SwiftDeath

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally have a deep hatred of all things mac...I would never buy one...

I had to use one at CompUSA once...it said they had a few of this camera I wanted in stock, but the guy had never seen it before so I had to look it up...in the time it took me to do that I started feeling dizzy and sick for some reason...I mean, I've hated macs as long as I can remember, but that was just...

Also, I got a friend with a mac...it didn't even come with a word processor...he has to go to his grandparents whenever he needs to type something...

............dear lord, not an O/S with no word processor! I mean, there's no version of openoffice for mac or anything!

Mac doesn't make their own word processor...what do you expect? Seriously...those are some of the worst reasons I've heard for hating an O/S. You used it for like five minutes! How the heck can you get a feel for an O/S in five minutes?? And if you -really- hate the Aqua look, get the X11 extensions and install GNOME or KDE or even fluxbox!

> its a microkernel so technically superior to linux as an OS....

I think there are enough flame wars on this subject.

Truth be told, I think the (open style) development process will also decide how the actual implementation will become. Plus, kernel modules have taken some advantage of Micro-Kernel to Monolithic Kernel.

I am also very curious why Apple does not commit resources to make a OS X native port of OpenOffice.org happening. That way Mac will become truly independent platform and compete better against Windows.

> its a microkernel so technically superior to linux as an OS....

I think there are enough flame wars on this subject.

Truth be told, I think the (open style) development process will also decide how the actual implementation will become. Plus, kernel modules have taken some advantage of Micro-Kernel to Monolithic Kernel.

I am also very curious why Apple does not commit resources to make a OS X native port of OpenOffice.org happening. That way Mac will become truly independent platform and compete better against Windows.

OMG a technical reason !!!!!

yep the kernel/microkernel debate is as old as CISC/RISC

can I put a IMVHO .. in front of that.

agreed on modules but they still interface directly with the kernel so can cause a crash

But OpenOffice ........

incredible your 100% right ....

because word is word....everything else is not. :D When there's enough interest and desire for such a thing to justify the devel$, they will, but they will not port....it'll be their own, which will be better ;)

Edited by bvc

> can I put a IMVHO .. in front of that.

> agreed on modules but they still interface directly with the kernel so can cause a crash

Well, I wouldn't be so sure that won't happen to micro-kernels.

Perhaps when I try QNX and other micro-kernel OSes...

The open source way of development however will demand bug fixed quickly for serious problem such as crash.

> because word is word....everything else is not. When there's enough interest

> and desire for such a thing to justify the devel$, they will, but they will not

> port....it'll be their own, which will be better

I think Jobs is not interested to take on Microsoft, yet. But if OS X and G5 continue their "adventure" in the enterprise XServe product line.... never say never I suppose.

not having a right click really isn't that big of a deal...

before people start tearing up macs, the real question is: have you ever used one on a regular basis? i don't mean <= OS9, we're talking OS X...the one based on BSD...yeah that one...

Um, Mac OS X supports two-button mice. Plug a two-button USB mouse into a newer Mac running OS X and see for yourself.

true....it's done on several desktops here at work.......it's funnny to see a microsoft usb optical mouse on osx-panther/jaguar.