Linux vs Macitontosh

SwiftDeath

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Macs do suck, they try to make it user friendly, but then it just plain sux and is unusable....

Windows is really functional compared to it.

Really Windows isnt that bad besides it many security flaws.

Ummm.....

I am no mac lover, but mac was functional before windows even knew what function was! And if you don't have security, you have nothing. The fastest car in the world is nothing if the tires keep falling off every time you run it! B)

Nah I just didnt mention how important opensource is.

look at it this way....

linux can run on a mac but not the other way round (excluding open darwin) which isnt the same thing becuase the thing with macs is the hardware!!!

opensource has many advantages becuase people can (and do) improve it regullrly.

also look at cost...

control ....

etc...

BSD and BEOS are also fine OS's

these are more questions of flavour's of ice cream whereas Windows isnt an ice cream its soime frozen coloured water spruced up to look pretty. They keep throwing in more additiives to try and make it more lie ice cream but in the end its not ice cream.

linux can run on a mac but not the other way round (excluding open darwin) which isnt the same thing becuase the thing with macs is the hardware!!!

A slightly pedantic technicality...

You can run mac OSX in Linux - either via something like pearpc, or if you have the mac hardware theres mac-on-linux.

Yep qchem but thats different.

(but at least were discussing REAL issues now as opposed to number of mouse buttons)

My reasoning is I can run multiple win95's or Win3.1's even in VMWARE on linux. With a GIG of RAM I can run quite a lot!

I could have one for IE and one for IIS etc. all running on WinX on top of VMWARE on top of linux. IE might crash and cause me to reboot but it would only be that instance.

Anyway what I mean is the attraction of a MAC is the hardware compatibility is 100% or 0%.

If it runs on Mac you just plug it in.... if not it doesnt'

This is WHY the updates work and my mum could use one.

What your saying is a whole new bag of worms albeit a VERY interesting one.

Were basically making a host system and running an OS on top so the host system is acting like a superbios...

Imagine VMWARE is a base but what it does is supply a standard bios .. if something LIKE this was adopted then any Unix like OS could be run on top and would be rock solid so long as the underlyinhg hardware and the 'open vmware' layer were.

This is partly covered in the linuxbios project...partly beyond that...

the point is the Mac skips that part..it has Mac bios so the OS and the bios are 100% in agreement.

Ah, I misunderstood the earlier post.

Anyway what I mean is the attraction of a MAC is the hardware compatibility is 100% or 0%.

If it runs on Mac you just plug it in.... if not it doesnt'

Spot on, and when they provide such good hardware all the better!

In my eyes MAC OSX is a good desktop alternative to Linux or Windows (Pixar agree with me on this one B) ) and I'm seriously considering a powerbook for my next laptop (although I'll probably dual boot as a comfort blanket). At work we're tempted to get some G5's (probably in Xserve form though), however I don't think we'll be running any thing but Linux on those.

I don't know what my point is, but I'll stick my views out there anyway!!

hehe,

Just got off the phone with my friend talking about macs !!!

His GF is doing some business that involves online money transfers and obviously doesnt want to use WinBlows and risk worms etc.

I personally wouldnt want a Mac as my only machine BUT thats becuase i enjoy tinkering.

My friend has 2xPC, a laptop and a Mac and he's planning on buying an ibook this W'End for his GF.

Last time I visited him I bought the AMD64 .... (this time I just lost enough to buy an iBook so my wallet will be firmly closed :D)

Anyway point is he keeps a mac to just work.... its just a G4 and before that he had a G3.... he just built a MythTV box ion a little Asus Pundit (looks like a stereo component ....) and he got a little MSI box too as things to play with but he never has to touch the Mac.....

Since his first Mac he has gone from OS-X 10.0 through the latest without a reinstall. Even though its customised and loads of recompiled linux apps the upgrade works seamlessly and invisibly.

iBooks are actually cheap compared to laptops...

If you consider battery power and all then the same laptop in x86 is probably the same price... (you need a real high end one to get the same quality as the ibooks. if you look on iBay then see how slow the depreciation is... you can buy one second hand and loose almost nothing over a year... try that with a PC... so the real cost is lower. )

Spot on, and when they provide such good hardware all the better!

Yep, thats just it, all the hardware is desireable... somewhat paradoxically if I had Bill Gates money I'd hardly be running Windows!

Apple were REALLY big at the linux expo..... in Paris. I got to see the cluster up close ... I could hardly hear it!!!! I was close, I had to put my ear against it to hear the whisper!

I don't know what my point is, but I'll stick my views out there anyway!!

I think thats answered by

. At least Macs on based on Unix.

It just shows if you starrt off with a good OS then what you build is good ... and trying to patch a stolen one, add a GUI and networking and... you end up with a pig...

:lol2:

I think that might be it.

STEVE JOBS

Chairman & Chief Executive Officer

Steve Jobs is CEO of Pixar Animation Studios, the Academy-Award®-winning computer animation pioneer which he co-founded in 1986. The Northern California studio has created five of the most successful and beloved animated films of all time: Toy Story (1995), A Bug's Life (1998), Toy Story 2 (1999), Monsters, Inc. (2001) and Finding Nemo (2003). Pixar's five films have earned more than $2 billion at the worldwide box office to date, and Finding Nemo is the most successful animated film ever released. Pixar's next two films are The Incredibles (November 5, 2004) and Cars (holiday 2005). Steve grew up in the apricot orchards which later became known as Silicon Valley, and still lives there with his wife and

Steve started Pixar when he wasn't part of Apple anymore - that's when he got intersted in *nix (mostly Linux) as they used it at Pixar in the early days (from the history I remember reading). He then got asked to come back to Apple, they were having problems, and that's when OSX began to be built.

OSX was a result of Steve's playing around with *nix at Pixar, not vice versa.

Right, i'm only thinking with the Dual G5's they have, why don't they start using them. I'm only wondering here.

Obvioulsy when everyone was rendering on Solaris, nobody could keep up with the hardware Sun was putting out (intell/amd) and the I/O, but that is changing now with Xeon/Itanium/AMD64 & I would think the G5/64 and IBM's 64ppc procs (which might be the same as what is in Mac's, not sure about that).

Off topic, IBM is one smart company, they have there hand in EVERYBODY's pocket! If there is one company that can truely put M$ in its place, they will be the one.

:thumbs: