Guest york

Hello,

"What type of mouse -- USB, PS2, etc?" Mouse type is a PS2

"Desktop or laptop?" It is Desktop

"What version of Mandrake are you using?" Mandrake 10.0 CE

"Do you know what kernel you are using?" kernel 2.6.3.7

Thanks

YK

Your Protocol is probably set to "auto" change it to "IMPS/2" in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

Option "Buttons" "5"

you can run mousedrake from the commandline or it's in the Mandrake Control Center>Hardware.

Edited by bvc

For some unknown reason, Mandrake has never recognized my mouse. Therefore I have to always download and install new mouse themes. Go to the site www.kde-look.org, download the mouse theme that you would like, and then follow the instructions to load them.

Kieth

wait! So? The mouse is there......just not seen?.....and changing mouse themes enables it to be seen in X? Isn't that the noswcursor option, or whatever in XF86Config-4? (on win2k right now so I can't look at man XF86Config)

Guest york

Hello Kieth,

Do you happen to use PS/2 and Which mouse theme is associated with PS/2 mouse ? I looked at the themes and could not come out with PS/2 theme.

Thanks

YK

bvc, I have always had this problem. Yes, the mouse is there, I can use it, I just can't see it. I wish I knew how to resolve the problem permanently. Actually, even with new themes, the problem still exists in some applications. mplayer, for instance. If I pass the mouse over mplayer, while there is a film running, the mouse disappears. With totem, there is no problem. In fact, just the other day, I wrote for help in the section on "games" to resolve it.

I learned about www.kde-look.org when I wrote in this board, asking for help. I have tried mousedrake (even with Mandrake 10, I tried it, but. . . .), I have edited the scripts, etc., but no luck. Adding a new mouse theme is the only way I have been able to resolve the problem.

york, there is no mouse theme especially for ps2. I use a ps2 wheel mouse. In mousedrake, it never, never, never chooses it correctly, but with a new mouse theme, installed the way it states on www.kde-look.org, it works. Choose whatever theme looks interesting to you. With Mandrake 9.2, I was using a "green" theme. Now I am using a "tux" theme. The hard part about installing a mouse theme, is not having a mouse. It's a challenge, but worth it.

Kieth

wait! So? The mouse is there......just not seen?.....and changing mouse themes enables it to be seen in X? Isn't that the noswcursor option, or whatever in XF86Config-4? (on win2k right now so I can't look at man XF86Config)

Oh, bvc, I forgot to mention, that I do not know what option you are talking about. If this will resolve my problem, I will do it immediately.

Kieth

Guest york

Hello all,

I updated the file per bvc instructions but with no success. The most interesting is that I installed Knoppix on this same desktop and the mouse was indeed recognized. But I do not think I have ATI video card. How do I find out without opening the box?

Thanks

YK