Two problems: PS/2 Mouse and 3c905 NIC

vashfish

1: When I first installed MDK 10.0 Official, it used a certain mouse driver (I can't remember its name) and everything was fine. When I started up my computer for the second time, harddrake told me my mouse had changed, and installed a new driver (psaux). After that, my mouse behavior became quite frustrating. It got slower and less precise, and even with something as simple as one instance of gcc in the background, it gets very jumpy. How can I put it back the way it was?

2: I have a 3c905 TX. MDK installed it just fine. Each time I boot, though, it fails to start eth0. The weird part is that I can type

ifup eth0

and that works just fine. Why doesn't it work when I boot?

Open up MCC and go to Hardware -> Mouse. Fix your mouse there.

I would be willing to bet that your internet still works, even though it reports as "FAILED" on boot. It's a bug. If you install the updates through MandrakeUpdate, everything should be fixed.

Well, it turns out that using the 2.6 kernel put the mouse back the way it was originally. It uses the Universal->Any PS/2 or USB Mouse driver instead of the PS/2->Automatic driver.

As far as the ethernet thing goes, here is a quote from /var/log/syslog:

Jun 2 06:31:00 bob ifplugd(eth0)[931]: ifplugd 0.21b initializing.

Jun 2 06:31:00 bob ifplugd(eth0)[931]: Using interface eth0/00:60:97:B9:35:29 with driver <3c59x> (version: LK1.1.19)

Jun 2 06:31:00 bob ifplugd(eth0)[931]: Using detection mode: SIOCGMIIPHY

Jun 2 06:31:00 bob ifplugd(eth0)[931]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

Jun 2 06:31:00 bob network: Bringing up interface eth0: failed

Also, at this point--I intend to change this once I make sure some other programs are going to work--I don't have a subscription to MandrakeClub so I can't get the updates.

Edited by vashfish

No. Just a plain old RJ-45. The main thing that makes this weird is the fact that

ifup eth0

from the command line works just fine. I even tried the hack from RedHat 9.0 and above where you put

check_link_down() {
    return 1;
}

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Edited by vashfish

I'm guessing your using a cable modem to access the net.

The cable modem takes some time to "hand shake" with the ISP and get a number to pass to you via DHCP. If you turn on the pc at the same time you turn on the modem try turning on the modem first then waiting 15 to 20 seconds then turning on the PC. This might give it time to connect fully then your boot message will clear up.

I leave my cable modem on all the time. I used to have the same problem as you but now the pc always find the net at boot.

Success! (kind of). The excerpt from /var/log/messages I quoted above gave me an interesting clue: it used ifplugd instead of ifup. After a half an hour of newbieish wanderings through /etc, I finally came across /etc/init.d/network. It had the following:

if  [ "${DEVICE:0:3}" != "eth" -o ${DEVICE/:/} != ${DEVICE} -o ! -x /sbin/ifplugd ] || grep -q '^MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes' ifcfg-$i; then  
     action "Bringing up interface %s: " $i ./ifup $DEVICE $boot  
 else  
     IFPLUGD_ARGS="${IFPLUGD_ARGS=-w -b}"  
     action "Bringing up interface %s: " $i /sbin/ifplugd $IFPLUGD_ARGS -i $DEVICE  
 fi

Naively, I commented the whole thing out except for the line in the first if clause. To my amusement, it actually worked.

Of course, that is probably not the best way to fix this problem, and I would be very interested to know what was causing it in the first place. But, for now, I don't have to open up a terminal every time I start up my computer just to go online...