A quick wireless question

SoulSe

I've spent the last week researching wireless networking for a project I am about to undertake. There is only one thing that I do not fully understand.

Lets say I have a server, plugged via cable into a wireless access point and then computers that connect to the wireless point and connect to the internet via the server which uses PPPoE. So far so good, pretty straight forward stuff. Now lets say there is an area just outside of the area covered by the first access point - can I simply pop a second access point on the edge of that area? Will it wirelessly connect to the first point and allow computers connected to it through?

I know that you can add extra access points via wired connection, but is it possible to do it this way?

I suppose the other option is a booster of sorts, but I can not find one at any of the stores I've been to...

you need to use something called 'WDS,' wireless distribution system i think. That allows access points to connect to other access points and clients to use whichever access point they are closest too using an algorithm part of the 802.11 spec. This used to be just for expensive routers, but since linksys were forced to release the linux source to their router (wrt54g) people have been able to add it in their own custom firmwares.

This is one of the custom firmwares: http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/ind...6e7263ef744b261

If you can't get WDS to work, you could use the second router as a client with a powerful antenna, then have people connect to that with wires - not perfect, but should work without problems.