old software FreeVet 1.1.1 rpm

johnnyv

Tried installing a FreeVet rpm on mandrake 8.2, the rpm installs but i can't get it to work.

I got a cant link to library libqt.so.1 so i simlinked the libqt.so.2.3.1 but then you get a

error message about the freevet library calling unknow functions in the qt lib.

So i looked on the freevet site, it was developed for qt version 1.44. Searched rpmfind.net and found libqt.so.1 came in a libqt1.45 package for backward compatibility apps in redhat 7.2 and 7.3 so i tried that rpm.

Now the freevet app just segfaults immediately on execution.

hmmm i have a 7.2 version of mandrake maybe i should install that on an old machine and try it again

If the game is that important to you, that is probably your only choice if you know it works in that version. There are ways to install backward compatibility but that library is not one that you can do that with.

Bluebeard.

FreeVet is a veternary clinic management application

My sister owns a vet clinic

For 5 clients the cost of the proprietry apps including the windows, windows server, mssql, and the software itself around $15000 NZ.

A cheaper less functional one that runs of a firebird database (free) cost around $8000 NZ

So i would have liked to use freevet as it would cut the software cost to a copy of quickbooks.

So i guess i will muck around with it some more.

I could code a intranet application with MySQL + PHP with a mixture of client side web browser and a little client side php-gtk(dynamic stuff, and printing) but it would take a couple of months of my spare time to setup and test and she wants it now now now :)

What ever she gets i'll be the one who is called to fix any problems so i would prefer a linux option as once setup they are harder to break.

tried that but the compiler freaked out

small bit at the end of make:

Dispense.cpp:137: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

make[2]: *** [unix_obj/Dispense.o] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/john/Desktop/freevet/data/FreeVet-1.1.1/LIB'

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/john/Desktop/freevet/data/FreeVet-1.1.1/LIB'

make: *** [all] Error 2

[john@bobs FreeVet-1.1.1]$

literally more than 100 things the compiler found wrong with it in Dispense.cpp alone :(

It looks like my only option is too try mandrake 7.2 , oh well i can live with that.

I suggest you post this issue in the newsgroup alt.os.linux.mandrake with a heading like "Compiling problem with the Free Veterinary Program" and list the complete error log. You might or might not get an answer that helps, but there are people there who may be able to point you in the right direction even if they don't solve the problem. Get in the first line of the message why this is needed, and after that the cost of the W$ alternative. Then the error log to show that you have tried to do it yourself. Putting in the number of "patients" wouldn't hurt either. That should be enough to get a response without needing a flameproof suit.

Bluebeard.