problem with Start x

mondo

Hello,

KDE is one of the packages which were chosen for install but on reboot no KDE is seen and X server does not connect. Here is what I get when start the server with "startx"

" execve failed for /etc/x11/x (errno 2)

unable to connect to x server

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2

unable to connect to x server"

Any ideas what is going on wrong?

Thanks

JB

Try launching the server manually with XFree86 and see what you get.

Also, XFdrake is the Mandrake configuration tool.

KDE and X are separate entities, one is the desktop manager and the second one is the graphical server. It appears that your server isn't starting.

You should have a log: /var/log/XFree86.0.log that can give you additional info as to why the server isn't starting.

Hello somedude,

Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me where I can find information howto configure mandrake 10.0. When I installed it, I was prompted with login then login but could not start X windows. With XFdrake configuration tool, I can start X windows but I do not have any information how to use XFdrake. Please let me know where I can get the information.

Thanks

JB

XFdrake is pretty straight forward, much like any program's setup. Launch it at the command line or via terminal window.

su <enter>
***** (enter passer) <enter>
XFdrake <enter>

This will walk you through to set up X server and a test to be sure it will work. As for info, you could try entering "man XFdrake" via same command line.

Seeing X windows starts, you may have another problem, tho. Did you install with at least disc 1 and 2 ? Maybe check what all is installed for kde with this at the command line (and post here):

rpm -qa | grep kde

With XFdrake configuration tool, I can start X windows

It's X window (system), not windows. Sorry, but you might as well learn the 'proper' lingo.

When you say you can start X with XFdrake, what do you mean? How far can you get? Do you just get a blue screen and a mouse cursor?

If you managed to go though with the configuration and it said all's well, try startx again.

And a word of advice, look at the number of penguins people have on their avatar frame. Listen to the ones with many Tux's. B)

Check the KDE configuration as posted above.

Edited by somedude

I would slightly modify somedude's advice: look at the number of Tux's, but realise that this is not an infallible way of telling how good someone's advice is. I mean, I give excellent advice, and i only have one Tux! :P

But seriously, the number of Tux's is just an indication of how much that user has posted, nothing more or less

But seriously, the number of Tux's is just an indication of how much that user has posted, nothing more or less

actually it's only an indication of how much that user has posted on this board. I'm a n00b when I go to another board., but then I'm a n00b here. :help:

continuing with the penguin talk...

I have seen some really good posts from members without any penguins too. We all just try to be a very courtious and helpful flock of "loonixers" here. As for my collection of birds, I have been here a while now and just try to be as helpful as possible --- wherever I can and with my very limited knowledge.