BOOTLOADER DIED!!!!! or something!!!

Sherpa

It was storming at my house so i shut my computer off and unplugged it for safety reasons, but this morning, when i went to turn on the comp, instead of seeing lilo boot up, i got

L 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99  99 99 99 99 99 99 99 _  

then it just stops with that blinking cursor "_" :wall::wall::furious3::furious3:

so i put in the mandrake 10 cd and said to reinstall the boot loader from the rescue disk, it did its thing, so i restarted the computer, got the same message, then i stuck the mandrake 10 official cd back in, and did an upgrade from the install menu, it went through and asked for all 3 disks as it installed stuff, restarted, same message, WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!

(on another note, my XP computer upstairs, i unpluged it for the storm, and when i turned it on today, it was missing system.ini, its kinda funny that on two seperate computers with two seperate operating systems, both have boot issues)

(on the xp computer, i just kept restarting it when i got the message that said system ini was missing, and then magically it was fixed, and that is how i am talking to you now)

Does anyone know what i should do? or should i wait for a mirical like the XP computer?

Edited by Sherpa

Sounds like it might have been a hardware issue with your xp computer. You may have had a surge in the line prior to shut down. If the armature does not return to the rest point, it can be funky on start-up. Things to do:

Get a portable linux, like MEPIS (!!) and boot your pc with it, mount your partitions, and make sure everything is there. I'm sure it is.

Using the Mandrake cd1, restore the mbr and then re-install lilo/grub.

Oh, and this is a perfect time to start chain drinking cappuccino!!

I would think rescue mode would of been the perfect solution here. What you see is even listed in the manual (man lilo) --- although it don't list the fix. Try Ix's way (restore mbr first, then lilo)

99 invalid second stage index sector (LILO)

I've had that happen...Check your drives, make sure they're connected and all right...then check your BIOS to make sure they're configured right.

I got this error when I removed my linux drive once...

hey everyone i think i got it thanks for that quote from the lilo man, i was unable to get to linux to read the lilo man, so i googleized that quote and found that someone on linuxquestions.org had the same problem, and they said they reset their bios to default and it fixed the problem, like Urza suggested, and sure enough, after reseting my bios to default, the problem, was fix, now my Nvidia driver is giving me hell,

so i used vi from the command prompt to edit the XF86Config-4 file to use the generic driver, and now i am in X as root and i am trying to resolve this nvidia problem

Thanks EVERYONE!!!!!

for your nvidia the trouble is that mandy lost hisprobed drivers try to add the folloing line in your /etc/modprobe.conf file :

alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

and reboot of course and it shoud resolve your nvidia trouble.

hopes this helps

i fixed it, infact i am using my linux right now, when i did that update, it uninstalled kernel source 2.6.3-7 and put 2.6.3-13, why i dont know, but i reinstalled that then i reinstalled the driver, and edited XF86Config-4 again, and i fixed the problem.

Thanks everyone you all have been a great help :)