MBR/Partition Table Problem - MDK 10 Official

chris:b

Just want to tell that I just had the known problem of a screwed MBR/partition table, not with the 10.0 Community Ed. but with 10.0 Official. Even worse, I didn't *install* 10.0:

- Running MDK 10.0 Official, kernel 2.6.3-7mdk

- Created a new ext3 partition, and formatted it.

- After a reboot, I couldn't boot Win XP (on a NTFS partion, on hda1), only a blinking cursor

- Booting with the Win XP install cd (and doing fixmbr, fixboot and all this stuff) didn't help to repair the MBR, still a blinking cursor

- Booting with the MDK cd 1 and the rescue stuff didn't help

The only solution was to go to the BIOS, to the settings of the harddisk: change the mode from *auto* to *LBA*. After these changes no other steps were needed. All Lilo entries were working fine, incl. Win XP.

Seems to me that, as soon as you change partitions/create new partitions, and the HD mode in the bios is set to *auto*, and you have a NTFS partition - then you encounter this very annoying bug. (Suse 9.1 with kernel 2.6.x and Fedora FC 2 with ketnel 2.6.x have similiar problems, if I am not mistaken)

So, if you are new to Linux, and you plan to set up a dual boot system, I'd suggest that you first go to your BIOS and set the LBA mode.

Personally, I've always set my disks to LBA in BIOS. I remember reading this as a suggested step when I installed Linux for the first time back in 1999. Just kind of stuck in my mind I guess...

Just adding some side thoughts, ignore me ;)

I have been using LBA since before I tried Linux. Had to in order to get 61 GB hdds fully seen with super socket 7 mobos. Now that I know the problem, at least with mandrake and auto or non LBA, I won't use any other mode.

I think the difference, is that auto defaults to CHS (I think), and Linux hates CHS.

edit: can't find that in my BIOS...

I found it hard to find where in the BIOS these settings are. If I remember well, in my AWARD bios (two years old), it has been: Standard CMOS setup --> primary master ide (because I have one hda, IDE) --> two submenus there: - detection (automatically or manually) and -mode <--- I had to hit <enter> to see and change the mode to LBA.

Some computer manufacturer are 'cutting' the BIOS, so you are limitted in changing settings.