tuxracer very slow

Guest khayyam

Guest khayyam

hello,

i've just installed mandrake10 and i wanted to see if tuxracer worked well. surprise, it didn't, it was very slow (except the music that is ok).

and nevertheless, i've a recent graphic card. so, my question is very simple : which package do i need to play ?

Do you have the 3d driviers installed for your video card?

If not, tuxracer looks like a powerpoint presentation....

Just a thought....

Capn

Yeah, that's most likely. Let me guess, You're using an nvidia card and you haven't installed the kernel sources or the nvidia drivers yet?

Not sure? Open up a console and enter 'su' without the quotes of course and then enter 'glxgears' tell us what happens

Guest khayyam

glxgears, what happens ?

three beautiful wheels running at 320fps. and, no, i' don't have a nvidia card but an ati.

before, i had mandrake9.2 and my graphic card was not usable (i didin't know how to), that was one reason for which i decided to install mandrake10. and it was directly installed, without any modification from me. so i didn't install myself the drivers and i don't think it's needed.

do you know names of mandrake packages needed for tuxracer (or other 3d games) ? i think i've just forgotten to set up something, but which one.....

I think there may be something wrong with the 3d on your system as my fairly outdated GeForce produces around 2000fps in glx gears. If your card can only spin the gears at 400fps, I would think you'd get like 2fps in tr

Guest WsOuBaR
glxgears, what happens ? 

three beautiful wheels running at 320fps. and, no, i' don't have a nvidia card but an ati.

before, i had mandrake9.2 and my graphic card was not usable (i didin't know how to), that was one reason for which i decided to install mandrake10. and it was directly installed, without any modification from me. so i didn't install myself the drivers and i don't think it's needed.

do you know names of mandrake packages needed for tuxracer (or other 3d games) ? i think i've just forgotten to set up something, but which one.....

The Mandrake 10 indicates that is using the right driver but You need to install the drivers of your 3d driver..

I have a geforce mx (something) and the mdk indicate it but I try to run tuxraces and it was slow... so I need to install my driver...

I have the drivers and I know what to do to install my nvidia driver..

Conclusion ...

You always need to install the specific 3d video driver

gud luck

I have the same problem too... glxgears is @ 320fps

1600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 320.000 FPS

<at this point I started typing this message>

2160 frames in 5.0 seconds = 432.000 FPS
2180 frames in 5.0 seconds = 436.000 FPS
2180 frames in 5.0 seconds = 436.000 FPS
2280 frames in 5.0 seconds = 456.000 FPS

<back to glxgrears>

1753 frames in 5.0 seconds = 350.600 FPS
1600 frames in 5.0 seconds = 320.000 FPS
1520 frames in 5.0 seconds = 304.000 FPS

Tuxracer is running 2fps... 4 at max. I had the same problem with 9.2, but managed to force installation of the ATi drivers for my 9600xt. I'm using XFree 4.3 and kernel 2.4. I Got TuxKart (or something similar) which also runs at 2-4 fps, but if I switch to wireframe mode, it goes at a lightening fast framerate. The problem exists in almost all 3D games...

Edited by Jezza

you MUST install the rigth video driver for your vid card.

I did for mine (nvidia drivers) and the output improved a lot

[root@localhost root]# glxgears
22203 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4440.600 FPS
27044 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5408.800 FPS
27074 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5414.800 FPS
27046 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5409.200 FPS
27075 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5415.000 FPS
27076 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5415.200 FPS

the only drawback for me was that there is no easy (poin & click) way to install the dammed drivers :thumbs:

you MUST install the rigth video driver for your vid card.

I did for mine (nvidia drivers) and the output improved a lot

[root@localhost root]# glxgears
22203 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4440.600 FPS
27044 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5408.800 FPS
27046 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5409.200 FPS
27075 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5415.000 FPS
27076 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5415.200 FPS

the only drawback for me was that there is no easy (poin & click) way to install the dammed drivers :thumbs:

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm using the propper drivers, I couldn't boot into X until I had installed the official ATi 9600xt drivers.

Do you need to enable openGL or something like that? I remember I had to go in my Xconfig file when I installed some nvidia drivers in like mdk8.2 or so.

How do I find out if hardware acceleration is supported for my ATI RagePro based video card? yo guyes have fancy Radeons, I'm talking old ahrdware here so I would have expected it to be supported but it appears not to be, at least not out of the box.