Where are the source files?

Guest algenon

Guest algenon

Yet another newbie struggling! I really want to convert my system from Windows 2000 to Linux. I have successfully installed a dual boot Windows 2000/Mandrake Linux 10.0 and this work fine. However, since I am using a NVIDIA based graphics card, Linux will only run in text mode. I have downloaded the driver from NVIDIA, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run, and followed the instructions. I get a message saying "unable to find kernel source tree for the currently running kernel...". I know I can tell it where the tree is, but where are the source files? I thought they were in /usr/src but these are all empty. I only have internet connection via Windows 2000.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Alan.

you can use either urpmi or rpmdrake. you can set them to pull the kernel-source off the net or by default off the cd's. rpmdrake is probably easier to use, since it is a gui.

Guest algenon

Thanks for the help guys. I found the source files, installed the graphics driver ok, edited the XF86Config file, but after entering init 5, I got 3 screen flashes and then back to the command line. Could this be a hardware thing? I am running an Athlon 2600 and ECS K7VTA3 mother board?

Alan.

Guest algenon

Tried startx and get:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialise the NVIDIA graphics device!

(EE) NVIDIA(0): ***Aborted***

(EE)Screen(s) found, but none have a useable config.

I tried modprobe nvidia, and nothing.

Looking at the NVIDIA sites I see a lot of people with the same problems. Can't see many successes.

Should I change the video card to a non-NVIDIA one?

Alan.

Guest algenon

Thanks for the help guys. I tried using driver "nv" and that has got a graphical interface working. So all this week I have been busy discovering Linux. Managed to get internet working which was very easy.

But being a pedantic type, I am still concerned with the graphics driver. When driver is set to "nv", I get errors relating to the GLX commands (to be expected I suppose) and so I would like to get the "nvidia" driver working. I did check the documentation with the NVIDIA driver and it said that after building the driver I should have a file called nvidia.o in /lib/modules/uname-r/kernel/drivers/video. Instead I get a file called nvidia.ko. This is presumeably the driver it cannot find. Does this .ko file need to be linked to the kernel? if so, how do I do it?

Alan.

no, .ko is rt

[root@localhost root]# ls /lib/modules/2.6.7-0.rc2.1mdk/kernel/drivers/video
aty/               hgafb.ko.gz  matrox/      pm2fb.ko.gz     sis/          tridentfb.ko.gz  vgastate.ko.gz
console/           i810/        neofb.ko.gz  radeonfb.ko.gz  sstfb.ko.gz   vfb.ko.gz
cyber2000fb.ko.gz  kyro/        nvidia.ko    riva/           tdfxfb.ko.gz  vga16fb.ko.gz
[root@localhost root]#

did you install with the rpm or the .run from nvidia?

Is

Load "glx"

Driver "nvidia"

in the XF86Config-4 file?

What exactly is the current issue?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest algenon

I finally found the problem. I borrowed a Matrox G400 card, and that worked fine. So then I tried an MSI FX5200 (certified Mandrake hardware) and that did not work either! What I found was that I had to set the "force no local APIC" and un-set the "enable ACPI" boxes in the boot section. Having these set in the other positions, not only prevented the nVidia drivers from working, but also disabled the internet! I don't really understand what they do, but with them set like this, the system is fine. So I re-installed everything, back to the original 2.6.3.-7mdk kernel and original nVidia drivers, and all is fine. Anyone else suffering from nVidia (or internet) problems should look at the ACPI and APIC settings (look in the BIOS too).

Algenon, now a happy Linuxer!

Edited by algenon