Seemingly Random Hard Crashes (Mandrake 10.0)

Guest jjthebear

Guest kingbyu
Just a thought..... Sometimes to get what you want it helps to be friendly

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. I honestly was asking if there was a good reason to try a different driver.

Actually, after some more investigation, it might be the memory after all. Running memtest86, it freezes while doing check number one (note, that it didn't return a message saying it failed, it just froze up). Do you think that would indicate bad memory, or might it be a bad cpu or motherboard?

Yeah my friend is going thrue some of the same problems. On his computer programs close for no reason just out of the blue. Also we have experienced a lot of freezing. We would be running miltiple windows and it will freeze. I don't know if he has posted anything about it, but I'm guessing he might of fixed it, don't know how. Some one will give you the help your looking for.

-Luis

Edited by Luis101

Hmm The matrox driver is a stable driver too, not like the NVIDIA....

humour me and paste the tail of the XF86 log from /var/log/

next time it crashes....

my stability probs dissapeared with MDK 10 and forcedeth in 2.6...

this is probably what knoppix is using (which version) and do an lsmod under knoppix.

A friend had randonm freezes like you describe and it turned out to the the PSU which couldnt be changed, I changed to a lower power consumption (but twice as fast) AMD chip and it fixed the problem 100%....

what is in the /var/log/messages ?? at the crash? if its truly nothing its often a sign of the disk or IDE controllers causing the prob (hence it cant write)

Also try the matrox drivers from their site, theyre getting old npow but you get them and the powerdesk for changing resolutions etc.

also you get better options for the mga driver... like turn off the 2nd head if its not used and how to divide memory between the two heads.

I have no expertise reasoning for it but I have a gut feel that the problem is hardware related.

I suspect Memory first, then Mainboard and the CPU third.

If you have dual sticks of memory then remove one and then run the system for a while. Then do a changeover of sticks and run again for a while. I have done the same procedure on two different machines that used to give similar problems and in both cases one of the sticks was faulty and when replaced with a new stick the problem was gone and did not return. If you have only one stick then you should try a borrowed stick to check this out..

Memtest does not always detect a faulty memory stick as I found out recently when I had freeze problem on my own present system (see my signature). The memtest came out ok but when I ran each of the two memory sticks alone, one worked flawlessly and the second one would not even boot up no matter which slot it was in. Corsair replaced the matched set under warranty so it was definitely faulty.

I hope this info helps somehow.

Cheers. John.

Guest kingbyu

The problem was the motherboard

As I think I said in an earlier post, memtest-86 would hang on one of the tests. This didn't mean that it was the memory though, but something low level that would only be used during a memory test (ie, probably not the video card). I replaced and swapped parts until I found the problem: the motherboard. Swapping the memory didn't convince the system to get through the memory test, but swapping the motherboard did. So there you go.

This all is Good News :tm: . This is actually my dads system that was having the problems, and I've been trying to convince him that he really needed to go with mandrake instead of knoppix (he wanted to install knoppix to the hard drive and use that as his main system). I've been using mandrake for over a year now and have never had happier days using linux (and I've tried a few things too over the years including redhat, fedora, suse, caldera (:unsure:)).

Edited by kingbyu

I wonder how many people blame the OS (or a particular program) when it is a hardware problem? It doesn't make any difference which OS it is. In Windows, RAM problems usually causes a reboot. Linux is less forgiving of bad or flakey hardware than Windows.

My system only gets shutdown either for really bad thunderstorms, or when I need to work on it (change some hardware), or for a power outage (I have a UPS).

Just as some side info, linux is not more or less forgiving for RAM problems, linux addresses RAM in the inverse way of MSwindows. Meaning, linux starts using/filling up RAM from the other end.

Hence the often found problems with Linux and RAM - all from people who had windows working properly. If not, they would have come to the conclusion that their RAM was bad earlier...

Also, think about it: some people have perfectly stable MSWin systems that just can't take running many programs at the same time -- when RAM gets full. But if in those cases people blame MSWin, this is perfectly standard and accepted.

With linux instable, first thing to check is hardware compatibility and necessary kernel/bios options. Second thing to seriously look at is your hardware -- with windows, you just never know.

With linux, imho, crashes should just not happen. Haven't had any, not even X-crashes since nvidia5336....

My server has an uptime of over 160 days,... and no internet connected windows machine has that (small trick: sasser came out after my last reboot, and all win systems have needed that hole patched).....

I had *lots* of XFree86 crashes when running KDE and Firefox 0.8 under Mandrake10.0C

I never had them before.

They all went away when I went to 10.0OE and Forefox 0.9

I have no idea why. It might have had something to do with running SunClock as my KDE background, but I'm not sure -- the crashes were random. Interestingly though, SunClock seems to have disappeared in Mandrake 10.0OE. Now my desktop background is boring.