Seemingly Random Hard Crashes (Mandrake 10.0)

Guest jjthebear

Guest jjthebear

Hell o everybody, this is my first post on this forum, so here I am :)

My problem is that I just installed Mandrake 10.0 (not the community version) and every now and then it just crashes. Everything freezes, nothing moves, no combinations of buttons causes a response, and I have to reboot. It has happened to me when I've been in X, when I've been at the command line, and twice when I was booting up and checking the filesystem for integrity (after it crashing). So, my question is, what can I do about it?

I've ran memtest86 and my memory is fine.

I'm running an ASUS NForce 2, AMD Athlon XP, Microsoft USB Optical Mouse, Standard Keyboard, built in NIC, GeForce 4 AGP video card (with the NVidia driver's installed, but I installed them in response to the crashes, it hasn't fixed anything), and 512 megs of DDR RAM. I have an 80 gig hard disk with 3 partitions, one thats like 70 gigs for Window$, 6 for Linux (2 or 3 of which are used), and a bit for SWAP space.

So what do I do? This is very frustrating because outside of these random crashes Mandrake 10 is awesome! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Guest jjthebear

The messages file was nonexistant. The .xsession-errors was also non existant. There were a couple of files named XFree86.x.log (x being 9 at the highest) but they didn't contain anything indicating failure. Thanks

what does

~/

mean?

/home/Sherpa ?

I recently troubleshooted a smiliar problem. First is the ram check and you did that :) I would next try and reseat all pci cards and the memory and see if that helps. While inside the box double check your fans are running and clear of dust.

Next, did you build this yourself ? Do you remember putting in the cpu and heatsink. If you used one of those peal off contact thingies instead of real thermel paste... take a look at the solution I found to my problem.

http://www.MandrakeUsers.org/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=107810

Guest jjthebear

Well, I think I found my problem. I changed the FSB Spread Spectrum from 1.0 to 0.5 and now no more crashes :) Thanks for your help guys, if it happens again I'll post put I've gone for an hour and a half with no problems. How come Window$ worked with it but Linux didn't?

Guest jjthebear

DANG NABBIT! <sighs> After 2 hours of clean operation my computer was playing music and BAM! It went down again. Then I rebooted and it wouldn't boot, so I rebooted again and did a filesystem check and it crashed again (it always crashes at about 80 something percent). So I guess I still havn't found my problem...

I didn't not build this computer myself and am fairly confident that they used decent thermal paste.

• 1 month later...
Guest kingbyu

I seem to be having a very similar issue. The system with the problems is running very different hardware though. Its a P4 2.4Ghz (non-ht) on an intel motherboard and has a matrox millenium g550 dual-head video card.

With mandrake 10 official, it will go and go and go, and then everything freezes. No key-combinations or remote access stuff will get the thing to budge. Eventually the screen turns black because of the powersave feature on the monitor.

I've upgraded the kernel to the latest one from the standard repositories.

Here is the strange thing though. When putting knoppix in, it will run fine without problems at all. Thats right, things don't freeze up in knoppix at all, but they do, randomly, in mandrake.

I haven't yet done a mem test or other things, but I thought I would ask here if a solution was found to jjthebear's problem.

kingbyu: are you using the nvidia drivers?

jjthebear: are you comfortable editing /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 like you did to get the nvidia drivers working? If so, try placing:

Option  "NvAGP" "1"

below your:

Driver   "nvidia"

line.

also, have you installed the nforce2 drivers?

Guest kingbyu

Why would I want to use the nvidia dirvers if it is not a nvidia video card? Its a matrox card and the mandrake x configurator app (whatever its called) recognizes the card correctly.

Why would I want to use the nvidia dirvers if it is not a nvidia video card? Its a matrox card and the mandrake x configurator app (whatever its called) recognizes the card correctly.

erm, hm, uh...

:oops:

I'm stupid, i didn't read what card you were using. sorry... :unsure: