Certifications

Vicki

Not me, I need maybe a years more experience. I'd be interested in getting one of the minor linux certs maybe by next summer.

Some colleges are looking into offering certs, including the college I'm at. They haven't said what certs they are planning to offer, though. They are polling students now to evaluate the interest.

seems like a vicious circle to me. MS lovers get MS certs, and linux lovers get MS certs.... so MS certs will always be more desirable.

Personally I'd get certified in Basket Weaving before getting an MS cert.

Maybe not a good career choice but I have my principles...

seems like a vicious circle to me. MS lovers get MS certs, and linux lovers get MS certs.... so MS certs will always be more desirable.

Personally I'd get certified in Basket Weaving before getting an MS cert.

Maybe not a good career choice but I have my principles...

Ni, oops NO,

forget basket weaving you need a course in landscape gardening... I hear its in demand

Thats kinda it but times are also a changin....

For a start if everyone has MS certs they become useless as a comodity.

However overall I think the problem with certs is they just show you can pass an exam. If its 5 years old then its less useful.

However linux is a bit wider.... linux support doesnt mean just the kernel it means lots of things like networking too.

Most of these concepts are timless or at least long lived (we still have IPv4) so they form a good base. MS training is mainly which patch tio apply or how to use a GUI to.... which makes them limited in use to MS and time dependant on the actual Windows of the month.

Like ptatch says its a lot easier to change em from inside and the MS qualifications are what gets you inside a lot of companies.

Im interested to get qualified too but it is rather bewildering...

I kinda think like null though really, I have a job so if I was going to change it wouldn't be supporting MS....

I would go with RH & Novell/Suse certs. Rh is supposed to be a BEAR, so be well prepared.

You want a linux cert that will make a diff, MOST companys are going to be running only 2 Linux Distros, RH & Suse, so go for those.