Acpi and Apm Problems MDK 10 OE

Guest MDS

Hi everybody, I'm a new user. Please excuse for my English.

I've installed MDK 10 OE on my Laptop. I think it is Outstanding, wonderfull. Faste and Stable.

But.... (it was too much beautiful to be real) I have problems with the power management.

I recompiled the kernel to obtain the necessary support to put at work the power control (battery and power off). I've ,first, built in the kernel the acpi and apm modules, and then outside. Ok.

I compiled the kernel in this way

make all && make modules && make modules_install && make install

then I checked lilo.conf , and it was ok.

When I type

modprobe apm

I receive

FATAL: Module apm not found.

but it exists /lib/modules/2.6.3-7mdkcustom/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko

With Acpi even worst....

modprobe acpi

I receive

FATAL unable to open /proc/acpi

A strange thing. When I type

uname -r

I receive

2.6.3-7mdk

intead of

2.6.3-7mdkcustom

Ok I stop here.

Any ideas???

Thank you for your help and I want to beg your pardon for the lenght of my post.

C U :D

Ps: oppssss :oops: now I see, I'm in the installation forum. Please Mods may you move this in the hardware section?

Edited by MDS

Guest Chilly Willy

Hi MDS

Unfortunately, I can't answer any of your questions, because in fact I'd like to post a question of my own regarding the same topic (rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd post it here), and you already seem to know a lot more than me anyway.

Basically, I'm a complete newb to Linux, and have just installed Mandrake 10.0 OE (2.6.3-13mdk). I thought maybe this was a simple matter, but my googling and searching through this and other forums hasn't helped me much. I've got a Toshiba Satellite 1400, and whenever I've booted a live-CD version of Linux in the past (Knoppix, Slax, etc.) I always had a battery meter showing automatically. For some reason, I can't for the life of me figure out where I can add this to my Mandrake installation. When I check Mandrakelinux Control Center, it tells me that ACPI is running (and APM is not). I wonder if this means I don't actually have to do all that complicated stuff I read about to get it going.

Is there some simple solution that I've overlooked, or do I have to do all that compiling a new kernal stuff? My knowledge so far of Linux is limited to typing "ls -l" and installing RPM packages through the Mandrake interface. Why would those other Linux versions automatically do this but Mandrake not?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I've always been able to run both if need be but it seems I can not anymore. It's either one or the other.

Make sure

acpi and acpid are installed>set to run at boot>and in the bootloader's config file (acpi=on or acpi=ht)

I use grub

title ML-10-2.6.6

kernel (hd1,7)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdk devfs=mount acpi=on splash=quiet vga=normal root=/dev/hdb8

initrd (hd1,7)/boot/initrd-2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdk.img

the /proc filesystem is created at boot but needs acpi/acpid installed, running at boot, and in the bootloader config file (kernel parameter).

You checked lilo, so then at boot did you select the new kernel to boot to?

Edited by bvc

Hi bvc.

I installed acpid, acpi and some other similar...

In lilo.conf i wrote acpi=on and I checked the strting kernel was the right one.

So that's all.

Anyway now I want to try to make a link ln -sf in lib modules, beacause I think it's all right, just some thing and I compete my configuration.

I you have any other idea, please tell me.

Bye :D