Switched printers with no luck *RESOLVED* (kinda)

kmc77

I recently switched out my home and office printers. I had both working in MDK 9.2 but have been unable to get either to work in 10.0 OE. Everything seems to be set up right.

It is a USB printer so It might be related to THIS PROBLEM. If Any one could help me out, I would really appreciate it.

1.8 Ghz Pent.

256 M memory

MDK 10.0 OE - GNOME

Epson Stylus C62 (USB) - CUPS

Edited by kmc77

Epsons are normally well supported in Linux, so it is unlikely to be that. How far do you get in the installtion? Is the printer detected by PrintDrake and correctly identified? Or does it just not do anything when you send something to print? With my C42UX I find that sometime I have to manually active the printer once I've plugged it in. To this:

KDE Control Centre -> Peripherals ->Printers

Press the "Administrator" button and enter the Root password. Then select your printer from the list, right click and select "Active Printer".

I'm using GNOME, so I tried to find the equivalent apps. I wasn't successfull.

Insall completed with no problems. Recognized my printer during install.

Printer is directed by Printdrake. But I'm not able to successfully print a test page.

Printer just does nothing.

I just noticed that It is set up to dev/lp0 - isn't that a parallel port? It should be a usb port. How do I figure out which port to set it on?

I had usb printer problems with 10 as well.

You might try upgrading your kernel. The mandrake kernel was up to version 2.6.3-13mdk last time I checked. CE only comes with -4mdk and oe only comes with -9mdk.

If you didn't know you can't upgrade the kernel as an upgrade. You have to install the new kernel, then remove the old one.

Actually, you can leave the kernel as an alternative boot. Whether lilo or grub, you can choose at that time which kernel to use, so you don't really have to unistall a kernel, just don't use it!

Have you tried skipping the kde gui and using localhost:631 in a browser to setup the printer?

I am actually using GNOME.

Have you tried skipping the kde gui and using localhost:631 in a browser to setup the printer?

Not sure about this. Do I just type localhost:631 in the browser?

Also I noticed that when I did a fresh install, there were 2 alternate kernels listed at boot. Should I try one of the others?

Edited by kmc77

Just like anything else, you must be root to make changes in the system. So enter your root identification. Since CUPS can't find a printer, this explains why nothing is working. Gnome thinks it's there, but CUPS doesn't! CUPS is what is important. B)

Ok, ignore that last post. That was just me being stupid. I was using my old root password. Forgot I did a fresh install of 10.0 OE.

CUPS added the printer, no problem, and changed the location, but still nothing. CUPS says everything's fine, but jobs just sit there untill I delete them. I'm stumped

Using the CUPS configuration, check the job status. If it thinks it is printing eternally, then you have told it a viable path, but the printer either is not at the end of that path or the driver is not correct. Check the driver selections. Last I played with this, most printers had 2 or 3 alternate drivers.

This sounds like a usb thing. Tey to activate the printer by turning it off and then on. Make sure the folder "appears" when on, and then send it a test file.

No folder. USB is looking more and more like the problem. I was finaly able to get my USB HD to work, but only after booting into the previous kernel. But, it's transfer rate is extremely slow. Do you think I should try the new kernel?