How to compile kernel 2.4.20 rpm

Guest 969696

Guest ThePreacher
Wouldn't using the 2.4.20 patch file be a better solution and a smaller download than downloading the entire kernel over again?

My problem with using mandrakes kernel patch is that it doesnt perform as well as the actual linux kernel.

Preacher thanks for the good post on compiling the Kernel.

That should be a permant post here as that will be one of the first thing a new guy wants to know when comming to visit this very forum.

It saved me a lot of time and headache of searching for those simple commands

BTW..My compile took just over an hour

On another note...

I cannot understand why we are dabbing with version 4.20 while Mr. Linux was recently quoted in e-week saying that version 6 "is on the horizon."

The version 5 series is still in beta. :roll:

DOlson's site is back up.

2.6 is set for mid to late summer last I heard. One mans horizon is anothers moon, I guess.

My problem with using mandrakes kernel patch is that it doesnt perform as well as the actual linux kernel.
Hmmm...not my experience. The vanilla kernel with either the low-latency patch or the preempt patch was only a little better than a compiled mdk, and only with a lot of resource intensive programs running at the same time. But, that's one of the ?interesting? things about linux...what applies to one may not apply to all. :) Besides, the mdk is just a patched out vanilla, so if you don't need anything special or just a couple of patches, and want to be able to upgrade via patch, the stock kernel could be for you. The kernel is the kernel.

I did find out that there is a drawback to doing a Kernel upgrade on your own.

Mandrakes Wizards and RPM setups have made you almost totally dependent on Mandrake.

I found out that some packages will not upgrade as it looks for the Kernel that was installed with the current version.

:x