How to compile kernel 2.4.20 rpm

Guest 969696

I'm a linux newbie. I thought that compiling a new kernel was useless for me...but since i have a 2.4Ghz Pentium IV, i need the new kernel. I can't enable DMA with kernel provided with Mdk 9.0 drives performances are very low.

I found a mandrake rpm but i don't know how to use it. The rpm was found at ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux...e-devel/cooker/

Should i install the source, then use the following tutorial http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/mdkkernel.php

Thanks

First see if you can enable dma in your bios set up.

You can also use hdparm to check, alter dma . hdparm is on your cds, search on software manager, or urpmi hdparm from a term, as su .

Here a link for using hdparm http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/20.../29/hdparm.html

If that all fails, then try the tutorial to compile your own kernel. Unless you really know what your doing, don't d-load a cooker kernel. Go to a mdk mirror and down load the source kernel for your installed running kernel ( 2.4.16 i think ) then follow the http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/mdkkernel.php

tutorial.

I installed hdparm and that's how i found out my drive problems.

/dev/hdb:

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 23.41 seconds = 3.07 MB/sec

I then found this on intel website

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/linux/udma.htm

Then i read that in fact the new kernel 2_4_20 could be the answer, and that it could increase my drive.

Why is it 'dangerous' to use a cooker kernel ?

thanks

..........Because cooker kernels are still cooking, they may, and often do, contain bugs errors etc While it may fix your problem, it may cause other problems to occur.The kernel your refering to, 2.4.20 has just been released as stable by kernel.org . Mandrake is applying there own patches to that kernel as we speak. So if you wait a while, mandrake will release their version of it for mdk 9.00 If you don't want to wait then d-load the cooker release, but install it as a second kernel instead of replacing the current one.

That way if it doesn't work you can always boot into the old one.

[root@administrator john]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.60 seconds = 80.00 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.68 seconds = 17.39 MB/sec

[root@administrator john]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 1.60 seconds = 80.00 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 3.38 seconds = 18.93 MB/sec

[root@administrator john]#

This is on my crappy work box with old 5400rpm ide drives, can't wait to get home and try it on my 7200's and see what the diff is.

Btw the 9.0 kernel is a 2.4.19

And did you try turning on dma on your hard drive using hdparam using the instructions on the intel site you gave a link to, i can't see why it wouldn't work?

hdparm –c1d1X69 /dev/hdb /* set your hard drive b to udma 100 */

Ultra DMA is turned on by default in Mandrake, at least for all the computers i have ever installed anyway.

The X69 is DANGEROUS if your board and drive doesnt' support it. I wiped half of my wife's drive with that once.

Just do the c1 and d1.

Also, if you get the kernel-source RPM from cooker, you can try recompiling that yourself, following that tutorial and it's safe enough, since you can revert back with a simple reboot.

The X69 is DANGEROUS if your board and drive doesnt' support it. I wiped half of my wife's drive with that once.

Just do the c1 and d1.

Also, if you get the kernel-source RPM from cooker, you can try recompiling that yourself, following that tutorial and it's safe enough, since you can revert back with a simple reboot.

I know it would be dangerous if you had a ata66 or less hdd &/or motherboard

I just thought he would have at least ata100 support on the motherboard and hdd i didn't really think that he would have a lower spec hdd, which he could (Me Bad).

Also whats the story with dual channels on the ide cable?

If you have a ata100 hdd but you have a ata33 cdrom the ide cable is limited to the lowest one aye? if so you wouldn't be able to do a hdparm –c1d1X69 /dev/hda on the hdd even though it is ata100?

oh after looking it up on google, current ide controllers aren't limited in this way so the ata100 can be used at full speed.

Yeah, the wife's system supports UDMA66, and I put it to UDMA100. Bad move. It locked up about 2 seconds later, and I hit reset. Then all the data was gone. Heh. Well, some of it. I couldn't start KDE, but Samba (or NFS, I forget) still worked, so I was able to transfer most of her documents to my server. I got a lot of errors while booting though....

That was fun.

that does not sound fun!

Oh well home now

[root@bobs john]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.38 seconds =336.84 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.59 seconds = 40.25 MB/sec

[root@bobs john]#

[root@bobs john]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.39 seconds =328.21 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 2.72 seconds = 23.53 MB/sec

[root@bobs john]#

Well my main home computer is a bit faster than my work one

Not that you really see much difference really in work type programs it's games that need the most grunt which unfortuanately i don't play at work. :wink:

So anyway thats for a Via333 board it supports ata133 but the hda is a 80Gb segate barracuda IV with is 7200rpm ata100 & the hdd is a 40Gb segate with is 5400rpm ata100.

So if you p4 motherboard supports it and your hard drive supports it, you should be able to turn it on with the current mandrake 9.0, i dont know why mandrake didn't set it up for you. Maybe your motherboard is quite new?, hard drake probably plays it safe if it doesn't recognise something.

That intel article you posted was fairly detailed, and i think it should work ok.

Then again don't listen to me, i'm just an idiot :D

My mainboard is an MSi 845E Max with Intel Chipset i845e. The i/O controller is ICH4 so i cannot set dma. I can increase udma and get this incredible result :cry:

/dev/hdb:

Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.35 seconds =365.71 MB/sec

Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 12.69 seconds = 5.04 MB/sec

That's what dmseg reads :

ICH4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev f9

PCI: Device 00:1f.1 not available because of resource collisions

ICH4: (ide_setup_pci_device:) Could not enable device.

I know that this post may be offtopic so i'll ask question about chipset 845e and ich4 controller in the hardware section.

Thanks four your replies

Guest ThePreacher

Dont bother installing the mandrake cooker rpm for 2.4.20. Here is how to install the linux kernel.

$ su

enter root's password

# cd /usr/src

# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2....-2.4.20.tar.bz2

# tar -xvjf linux-2.4.20.tar.bz2

# rm -f linux-2.4 linux

# ln -s linux-2.4.20 linux-2.4

# ln -s linux-2.4 linux

# cd linux

# cp /boot/config-2.4.19-16mdk .config

# make xconfig

At this point the kernel configurator box will pop up. Customize this to your needs.

# make dep

# make clean

# make bzImage

# make modules

# make modules_install

# make install

After this all you have to do is reboot. In lilo or grub, an entry should have automatically been created. It is not the default, so you have to select it. I use lilo and it just says "2420". I just wanted to add that this is not something that takes a short amount of time. On my 400 mhz laptop, it took a good 2 hours. I think the stock linux kernel makes things a little snappier than the mandrake modified kernel.