Hotmail account and Linux?

Sherpa

How do you configure Kontact or Evolution to check mail from a hotmail account, Is it possible? i have my Kopete logged into my msn messenger account, but that is only because it had preset settings. Which program do you prefer Kontact, Evolution, or another? :D :help:

dont install hotwayd or hotsmtpd from plf, download the gz file from source forge, you will need to preemp by installing from package manager the gcc compiler, xml2 packages, cyrus packages (infact anything listed under sals and xml) then

tar -xzvf hotwayd.........

cd hotwayd.......

./configure

then make

you should get a reply saying possible to make hotwayd and hotsmptd

su

pswd

make install

make clean

reboot

netstat -lp

look for port 2500 and pop3 both listening then we are nearly there

change ownership of the etc file, add the hotsmptd.xinetd and hotwayd.xinetd scripts to etc (ensure you edit to put the correct path of your hotwayd and hotsmptd application icons in the file all this started and then chown etc back to root

reboot

add account to firefox or what ever, host for pop and smpt is 127.0.0.1, port for pop is 110 and for smpt is 2500

hey presto email.

Edited by iainvt

i have hotwayd installed, just cant configure thunderbird for it.

How do you configure Kontact or Evolution to check mail from a hotmail account, Is it possible? i have my Kopete logged into my msn messenger account, but that is only because it had preset settings. Which program do you prefer Kontact, Evolution, or another? :D :help:

Why are you using hotmail in the first place when IMO there are better free alternatives? I suggest you try Spymac which offers 1 GB free e-mail and you can set up Kontact or Evolution or whatever you want to send/receive e-mail with with your Spymac e-mail address.

Spymac angers me there was an incident where some users from spymac riped some images from Caedes.net....i dont even want to get into it..... but i have had it for 6 years and i dont want to get rid of it.

i noticed that Kopete alerts me when i have new mail in my inbox!!! so that is good but ill try doing this.

i am answering my own question. i did a bit of research and came up with this. http://2mod2.com/mohot/

http://2mod2.com/mohot/account-wizard.png

the screenshot gave me a bit a help. what i was lookin for really. once i get back home, i'll try it.

Spymac hasn't worked for me, I tried it after I saw your post, large storage etc, but recognised by most other email providers as spam (SPYmac..!!) very poor hit and miss when sending mail, would only ever let send to self on a regular basis, so ditched and moved to mailcan.