Gnome-settings-daemon and cooker.

Lord Kenneth

Apparently a few things are screwed up in regards to themes or settings, but it's very minor. The biggest thing is that on start up it tells me gnome-settings-daemon had an error-- I need to hold enter because it keeps on repeating that at each stage of initializing gnome, or whatever. Any other cookers get this too?

I haven't gotten this error, but I know the location of the gnome-settings-daemon changed between Gnome 2.4 and 2.6. It's not in /usr/lib (on Mandrake) and /usr/libexec (most other distros)

That might have something to do with your error, but I'm not sure.

See if

echo $EXECDIR

gives you anything, you might have to change the path for it in /etc/profile

I don't have this sort of issue here. under enlightenment i have it in my .xinitrc file and everything works fine.

[william@poseidon william]$ cat .xinitrc       
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
export LC=C
export LC_ALL=C 
exec gnome-settings-daemon &
#exec startkde
#exec gnome-session
#exec xmms &
exec enlightenment

I don't have this sort of issue here. under enlightenment i have it in my .xinitrc file and everything works fine.

[william@poseidon william]$ cat .xinitrc       
xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
export LC=C
export LC_ALL=C 
exec gnome-settings-daemon &
#exec startkde
#exec gnome-session
#exec xmms &
exec enlightenment

Are you sure?

I had to change my .xinitrc file (for both computers) and change the gnome-settings-daemon to the full path (/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon & ) in order for it to start correctly.

For sure, I use gtk theme switcher to change the look of gtk (1 and 2) applications on the fly, so I had to include settings-daemon in .xinitrc file to get it working, otherwise it wouldn't.

For sure, I use gtk theme switcher to change the look of gtk (1 and 2) applications on the fly, so I had to include settings-daemon in .xinitrc file to get it working, otherwise it wouldn't.

gtk-theme-switcher doesnt require gnome-settings-daemon

gtk-theme-switcher doesnt require gnome-settings-daemon

Yeah, you should be correct, GTK theme switcher is just an app to change themes.

But Flux and E seems to require gnome-settings-daemon, otherwise gtk apps will not be affected by the changes you have made to it.