Installing via FTP / NE2000 issue

Guest perl4ever

Guest perl4ever

My question is in regard to the Mandrake Install script, and a specific prompt that it presents, asking for "options" to send to the kernal when selecting a network card. I need to tell the Mandrake script the io and irq of my network card, after selecting from a list of cards.

Here are the details:

I've created a CD-ROM boot image for installing Mandrake 10.0. I have an NE2000 compatible card that works fine in Win98, at io=0x300 and IRQ=10.

When Mandrake's install program tries to detect network, it says it needs the network_driver image, so, I put that in. I select one of two modules (the ne.ko or the pci version). I thought that I then should enter the following on the "Options: ______" line:

io=0x300 irq=10

However, that does not work on either module. I think that I am not typing in the "option" correctly. Do I need to type the following on that line?

options ne io=0x300 irq=10

or...

ne io=0x300 irq=10

or, what? I cannot find documentation that tells me exactly what to put on the options input line in the Installation process in this Mandrake 10.0

Please point me to a reference that spells out what Mandrake's install program wants at that particular prompt (I expect that this is a kernal options prompt, but, does Mandrake's install program add the "options" and other information, or do I need to add all that? If I need to add that, what else needs to be added?). Or, just tell me...

Any help would be apprecatiated. I need to have this network card active so that I can install from FTP.

Thanks in advance.

Guest perl4ever
just pick the right driver and it should work.

I haven't done an ftp install, though. I could be wrong.

It does not detect the card. It asks me to load a floppy with the network drivers. I do that (network_drivers.img installed to a floppy). I have tried selecting both the ne.ko and the pci version right under that (forgot the name, but it is for PCI version of NE2000 compatible). My card is a compatible NE2000. It works fine in Windoze.

So, after I select that, I have tried to just "run" as is. I get an error that it could not initiate any card ... something like "LDSNODE error" or something close to that.

Anyhow, I know, from reading around, that I need to send options to the kernal so it can know what to do for the ne2000 card.

If it were command line, then you'd do something like:

options ne io=0x300

with the optional irq=10 on the end of that.

However, I cannot seem to get that to work with the Mandrake install script. It shows:

Options: _________________

So, again, the question is, what do I put on the input for that prompt?

Thank you for your help!

Guest perl4ever

I still have no answer to this question. No one has offered any ideas. No pointers.

Surely, this should be a simple answer. Someone???

Help!

Just a note that while we have permission to use the Mandrake logo, we are not officially affiliated in anyway with MandrakeSoft nor Mandrake. This is an independent sight of users helping users.

bvc? aru? Any thoughts on this problem?

Guest perl4ever
What hardware are you running and why can't you do a normal cd install or an install off your local hard drive?

I am desiring to install via FTP, since the time to install would be potentially less than downloading the entire collection, burning a CD or set of CDs, and then installing from CD. The option of hard drive install is not valid due to the size of existing drives. Since 10.0 does not yet offer ISO image for CD, I have to figure out manually what to download, what to select for a CD image, then burn a CD. Why do that? Why not use the FTP install option? So, that's what I wish to do.

I have a working NE2000 compatible card. I simply need to know what to put into the OPTIONS: ___ prompt when the install script pauses for the options, before trying to load the NE2000 network module.

Thanks!

Tomas

Mandrake does have 10.0 Official ISO's out now.

You could also use PCLinux ( I think thats it) and do a hard drive install. Its basicly the line Mandrake move ISO fixed so it can install to a hard drive. Just one ISO to download first and install then you can add anything else you want after.

Edited by Pzatch