AMD 64 sources

Gowator

I just installed 10.0-AMD64

The sources are set to INSTALL which is my own http server since their was no way to coax the install CD into working.

The question tho is where/what sources can I set for contribs etc.

I stuck this in INSTALL cos for me the first thing after install is URPMI sources and I cant install ANYTHING (almost) because of deps....

Since its half HW and half SW this seemed thge best place!!!

There is a Contrib for AMD64:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake...r/contrib/amd64

Official Updates:

ftp://ftp.sunsite.org.uk/package/mandrake...ates/amd64/10.0

PLF Packages:

ftp://ftp.cica.es/mirrors/Linux/plf/mandr...ke/cooker/amd64

There is also a directory for MandrakeClub Contribs, but there isn't anything in it yet. Its a shame that all these source are Cooker based, but I haven't had a problem. Alternatively the src packages for 10 normally rebuild wihtout problem.

is it possible to mix and match the 32 bit and 64 bit.

I see the whole lib64 tree so it should prevent conflicts etc.

but is it possible for instance to use a 64 bit lame but 32 bit interface ??

I understand that the AMD 64 can run them simultaneously ....

and lots more RPM's are available for 586 than AMD64 + the deps can be sorted in URMPI :D

however I was thinking like you that the source RPM'smight proove an answer but then perhaps I should try gentoo ?

Yes, but I don't think its that easy. You have to have the 32bit libraries installed to use a 32bit app that depends upon them (I think). I haven't really experimented with it yet, as so far I always been able to rebuild the src rpms.

Edit:

Looking around my system the only 32bit softare i have is an old version of RealPlayer, which works as well as it ever did.

Edited by mtweidmann

LOL this is a TWO person conversation...VeeDubb/Qchem ..I know you have AMD64 now get out here!!!

Yep I still have the /lib but its not complete. Somewhere the linking needs to be done with the correct libraries ...

This is a BIG shame its not simpler becuase it could be (theoretically) and it would be one area Linux was so far ahead of MS its unbeleiveable.

To my mind 80% of linux apps dont need optimising. i368 works for lots of stuff. I know it my constant example but how much faster do you wanna check your mail ? or se the status of cdrecord etc.

The kernel and stuff is important as is multimedia etc. but a gtk or Qt interface isnt important....(although the underlying libraries are)

So if your writing a CD the writing proceeds at a fixed speed.

recompiling cdrecord might make it more efficient but no faster....

however whatever front end your using is not important. K3b or xcdroast etc. becuase they are just interfaces and mainly just referencing qt or gtk libs.

there is some stuff (like the kernel) which will benefit immensly over 32 bit and MM stuff but it makes little sense to make a 64 bit version of uncompiled scripts for instance!

I know its possible .. lets keep each other informed.....

What kernel is everyone using

Has anyone installed the NVIDIA driver ???

I got errors on the -9 kernel so upgrqded to -13 but its still giving errors when trying to compile the NVIDIA driver

keeps telling me the kernel headers are not copiled

am I alone ???

This seems like a difference between the MDK compiled kernel and the kernel-headers.

I had a lot of problems with 9.2 enterprise kernel in that when I compiled it I had missing symbols for the nforce chipset.

Now I dloaded the -13 kernel source since it appears the source for the default -9 isnt available but now it gives me stuff about the kernel not being compiled:

This is REALLY annoying I NEED the nvidia driver for this card, the nv one cant coontrol the scan rate: I just pulled it out of the 64 bit box and stuck it in the 32 athlon ... and it wouldnt work WITHOUT the nvidia compiled one.

I might try a stock 2.6 and see if I cant compile it to 64 bit ?

anyone else got any other ideas ....

I already recompiled the new MDK 2.6.4-13

if I read right the new 2.6 needs

make && make install && make modules_install and thats it ?

it even stuck and entry into my lilo.conf

however i keep gettng problems with libraries etc. and make xconfig dies

• 1 month later...
Guest apollyon_01

I noticed the PLF source listed above is broken... is there a new one?

Like to add I recently upgraded to an AMD64 system and replaced my 10.0 Mandrake with the RC 64-bit edition...

While I like the idea of being on the 64-bit platform the lack of updates and compiled applications has me wondering if the benefit is enough to stay. And it seems the 32bit cross compatibility doesn't work so well do to the seperation of the /lib directories. For instance recompiling xmms did not find ogg/vorbis libs that were in lib64 directory, resulting in no ogg support until i recompiled specifically listing the paths... i had a similar problem with the stock Totem not finding /lib dvdcss files :(

Sagely advice welcome :) !!!!

I wish I had sagely advice except 'dual boot'

As a server Im sure its fine and dandy but for everyday playing around its a pain at the moment.

I am thinking of giving Gentoo another shot but I need the whole thing working in a weekend... including ironing out the 64 bit peculiarities...

Guest apollyon_01

Post here again if you have any luck with Gentoo.... I downloaded the Live CD and packages CD for the 64bit arch, but haven't given it a try yet.....

Guest apollyon_01

Anyone have up-to-date sources of Mandrake 10 AMD64 for PLF, Cooker and Contrib or know if Mandrake intends to update these repositories in between distro releases.