Mandrake 10 OE was stable until

!nkubus

everything was working like a charm , and suddenly, Xine sound became itchy, totem, keffeine all worked fine begfore, having no trouble with juk, amarok.

suddenly Nvidia drivers won't load, tried to reinstall but could not find kernel-sources who was installed, and urpme kernel-source but now i cannot reinstall kernel-source because of the damn release all urpmi repository have a curl 9.

it's been the second time mandrake 10 failed to load nvidia drivers. OE and Community.

my config is :

geforce MX440 , riva tnt2 Xinerama (i suspect that my problem is here).

my question is how can i remove nvidia drivers and reinstall them?

and how can i modify Xine sound engine?

This is very similar to the nightmare I just experienced. But, it occurred after I accidently updated with cooker. And I had been playing with apci in the bios and forgot to turn it back off. I don't know if any of this helps, but that is what happened to me. Any recent updtaes?

I think that some 'service' or something is the cause. I don't know what though. Twice, nvidia has failed and had to be modprobed b4 starting X even though it worked for a moth. No changes, no new pkg's, just wake up>boot>no nvidia. I had to --uninstall and then reinstall nvidia. I do not run cron, anacron, syslogd, msec or any of the usual services...they are a pain and have no business running daily on a desktop, so I run them myself once a month or so. I hadn't done so when nvidia got screwed.

Ixthusdan, nope no recent update i woke up a morning and no more X , if i change driver to nv it works but Xnerama do'nt work,. kind of very weird.

ohhh BVC tthanks , i have to wait until the ftp servers are less busy to download the kernel sources and reinstall them

to unstall the nvidia drivers you did ./NVIDIA bla bla bla.sh --uninstall?

Edited by !nkubus

With the Nvidia installer, it will uninstall the old and reinstall the new. It's automatic. I'm going to look at my services, because I have experienced this same problem. Nvidia will suddenly not load. Interesting.

weird because i ahd the dowload edition but lilltle befor from the Club , and there is no source ont eh cd :(. ill find it;

did you experience errors (curl 9) with alle tyour repository when anew Mandrakse is released?

to unstall the nvidia drivers you did ./NVIDIA bla bla bla.sh --uninstall?

exactly

as lx said, the installer will do it, but I'm a control freak and prefer to do it myself. Especially when things are behaving strangely.

I've gotten the curl 9 error with CE and 10-cooker. In both cases I manually downloaded the updated urpmi and manually installed it. Then;

urpmi.update -a

then;

urpmi --auto --autoselect

fixed it for me.

I had a similar problem this morning and had to modprobe nvidia, before I could get to X. I checked my /etc/modprobe.conf file and saw this line had been deleted:

alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia

I have no idea why but after I added the above line back, the nvidia driver loaded fine on reboot. Bottom line, the nvidia driver was still there but modprobe.conf was spontaneously edited to remove the line that loads the driver. You might want to check modprobe.conf if it happens again and add the above line if it's been deleted rather than reinstalling.