VCD stopped working in Totem in Mandrake 10 OE

zero0w

I can't watch VCD in Mandrake 10 Offical Edition anymore, which still works in Mandrake 9, 9.1 and 9.2.

When I tried to play VCD in Totem, it reported of this error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totem could not play this meda (Video CD) although a plugin is present to handle it.

You might want to check that a disc is present in the drive and that it is correctly configured..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there's any workaround to this problem, I really appreciate it.

I never have like Totem much, it always seems to error for me also. Have you tired mplayer, xine or ogle? I think you will have to download ogle, but mplayer and xine are on the mandy discs.

Also you could check too see if there are any updates available for totem, if you don't want to install any other media players.

I can't watch VCD in Mandrake 10 Offical Edition anymore, which still works in Mandrake 9, 9.1 and 9.2.

When I tried to play VCD in Totem, it reported of this error:

Totem could not play this meda (Video CD) although a plugin is present to handle it.

You might want to check that a disc is present in the drive and that it is correctly configured..

If there's any workaround to this problem, I really appreciate it.

I don't like answers like the one I will give you now , but anyway.

vcd's and svcd's on Mandrake 10.0 OE and CE are working fine for me with

Kaffeine (xine based)

You'll find kaffeine on the ftp mirrors, contrib, for 10.0 official. Even the newest cooker version (kaffeine 0.4.3) is working great, doesn't break anything.

For playing vcd, all you have to do is to go once to settings/options --> xine enigine parameters --> vcd, and fill in here the path to your cd/dvd drive, for example for me it's: /dev/cdrom, save it, restart kaffeine.

Playing the vcd: main menu bar --> play --> vcd

(Totem never worked for me, not in 9.2, not in 10.0)

Edited by anna

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Kaffeine, but it doesn't help.

I installed mplayer and it works now, but the OSS audio compatibility mode in Mdk 10 is kind of screwed so I have to specify ALSA as the audio backend in mplayer (and XMMS also).

• 2 months later...