Firefox fans please advise me

rockybalboa

I am a long time fan of FF. I even quit using IE in Win eXPee a year ago. So when I loaded up MDK 10 Official I couldn't wait to get rid of bloated Moz. However, I can't stand how slow FF is in MDK. I'm ready to go to Opera, although I tried it for two days and didn't care much for it. Bottom line is - if FF is running good for you please let me know what build you're running. I'm running "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/ 20040402 Firefox/0.8" which is basically plain vaniilla official build. My system is an Athlon Tbird with plenty of memory.

Could some of you FF fans save me from Opera confusion? To much on the screen for my taste.

Thanx

Dan

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040301 Firefox/0.8

I too have noticed slowness, mostly on this board and it seems to be related to the animated smilies. Not sure why, I might replace it with a build from mozilla.org though. if I do, I'll give you tips on how I went about it.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040402 FireTruck/0.8

The 'FireTruck' part is just my little joke :-p

It runs fine for me.

had me for a sec :lol:

til I continued reading :angry:

think your funny, eh? ;)

got me :woops:

Think I need to try a different build then. Looks like it's not an overall problem, and I hate the thought of giving up my FFox. I can't recall how I installed, but I think it was from .tar.bz. Should I uninstall before going to a new one? Or can I just overwrite? I hate the thought of manually moving all my configs but won't gamble the loss, I did one time and lost alot of settings and scripts.

Another problem, and I'm not sure what all it's connected with, I have had browser/X server crashes, frequently while loading up large images. I gave up on flash and java back on my eXPee partition a while back. Is it any easier in MDK?

Thanks again for all the help.

Dan

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040308 Firefox/0.8

I am using the Texstar PCLinuxOS rpm for this Mandrake 9.2.1. It seems to work fine, but the logo is still the old logo (the firebird one).

Edited by DragonMage

rockybalboa

it may not be a problem with FF. to be sure, please test it in other browsers. it could be your system is not resolving DNS properly, which could be related to /etc/hosts or the firewall (iptables). i have heard of mozilla having this problem. so checking both is a good idea.