Installation hang

Guest miketigerwoods

Guest miketigerwoods

I've been a mandrake user since the 8.x series, always dual-booting between mandrake and either win2k or xp.

I decided to install 10.0 Official, so I downloaded the tree, burned it to a DVD-RW (thankfully it was RW) and used the isolinux.bin to make it bootable. I went through the install process just fine until it started to actually install the rpms. I guess the install was about 10% done when I noticed no more hdd/cdrom activity. The mouse was completely hung and no keyboard key combo worked to get me out of it.

I figured it might have been because I used the windows versions of wget and mkisofs, so I booted a live cd to re-download and burn the distro. Same error, so I gave up with the official DVD and went to my 10.0 community cd-rs. I had installed from these discs on the same PC no problem a while back. However, during install it hung at seemingly the same spot.

So I thought it might have been an individually selected package that was preventing the install from completing, and I went through the install with the default options, but same error.

I know this must be a pretty vague description, but I've tried almost everything I know, and the hardware hasn't changed at all since the last successful install, besides adding a 2nd monitor to my video card, but I dont think would hang the install? (I completely formatted the linux partitions during the various installs).

Anyone know what could be the problem?

Specs:

asus a7n8x deluxe (nforce2) w/ athlon 2800+

3 IDE drives and a sata WD raptor drive

pioneer dvr-104 and sony cd-rw

1gb corsair ram

Dual monitors on a ATI 9600 pro video card

:wall: I've had the same exact problem with the installation hanging during the RPMs, and I also have used Mandrake for several generations. This time, however, I've tried to install over a dozen times with no success and am thoroughly disgusted with the official version of 10. My modem access is slow and limited, so downloading the latest ISO is not a great option for me, and the only operating system I run is pretty much Mandrake Linux. I can install 9.2 again, but this is extremely frustrating and problematic for me.

Sincerely,

Hugolino :help:

Greetings,

Following the advice of another forum post, I hit "F1" when the pre-installer started, and then typed "linux napic nolapic". That solved the hanging problem! Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

John :D

P.S. Now on to fixing the problems that have appeared after successful installation! ;)

I notice the original poster on this topic has an nforce2 board. I asked about MDK10 and nforce compatibility a while back and most people had good results.

I tried yesterday to install MDK10-Official on a Shuttle SN41G2 (nforce2) and had terrible problems. The (fresh) install would freeze at random points, though mostly during disk formatting or package installation from CD1. I tried at least 15 times before getting to the end of the install! (I still have to configure X properly before I can see KDE)

I have apic turned off in the BIOS, and typed "linux noapic nolapic" at the install prompt. This helped, but I still had a couple of freezes before it worked.

My install CDs are from bittorent, the MD5 sum is fine, and I installed onto a Via KT400 chipset board in a matter of minutes without a single problem.

I remember I had bad problems installing 9.2 on the nforce2.

I'm concerned that this machine is not going to be stable with MDK10.

Is there any reason for these freezes or a definitive solution? I dare not even plug in USB device just yet!

Following the advice of another forum post, I hit "F1" when the pre-installer started, and then typed "linux napic nolapic". That solved the hanging problem! Thanks guys!

Quite WHY this isnt the default I dunno.....

p.s. thats a typo right....

mikeoneil

I booted from CD2. (CE) On my Shuttle SN41G2 :D

Me too I gave upo using Mandrake completely as it kept locking up.

How much RAM do you have becuase im using kernel-enterprise (1GB)

Its very much improved over 9.2 for me.

I can only think its something wrong...in the install.

Can you post your /etc/lilo.conf ??

I booted from CD2.  (CE) On my Shuttle SN41G2 :D 

Me too I gave upo using Mandrake completely as it kept locking up.

How much RAM do you have becuase im using kernel-enterprise (1GB)

Its very much improved over 9.2 for me.

I can only think its something wrong...in the install.

Can you post your /etc/lilo.conf ??

I'm not in front of the machine right now so I'll post the lilo.conf later. My main concern is just how difficult it was to get installed on the SN41G2 with all the random freezes. It does not inspire much confidence compared to the VIA KT400 which installed perfectly from the same install discs.

The problem machine has the following specs:

Shuttle SN41G2 (nforce2), AMD Athlon 2.6GHz (or thereabouts), 512Mb RAM, HD 120GB, Haupauge PVR350 TV card, BIOS options all "Optimal" i.e. automatically chosen and not overclocked. Unused motherboard devices disabled. apic disabled.

Although Mandrake 10 is to some degree installed now, I'd really like to track down the problem and start the install again. I'm going to take out the TV card and restart again.

Gowater, do you have an SN41G2? If so, and if you have time, please could you post your BIOS version, and any relevent settings in the BIOS. It seems some people with identical hardware have problems while others do not.

Guest miketigerwoods

Thanks, the noapic and nolapic options made it work just fine, now just to get my ati card working...

BTW what is lapic?

Thanks, the noapic and nolapic options made it work just fine, now just to get my ati card working...

BTW what is lapic?

btw...

Does ANYone have a full list of the boot time append commands ???

perhaps if we do it vcould be stickied!

Just a quick update: All my install problems and random freezing appear to have been fixed by a motherboard BIOS update. For those interested, I have a Shuttle SN41G2 and updated the bios from FN41S018 to the latest FN41S025 version.

I've also put a message in the hardware forum with a bit more info.

Just a quick note.

I have just been trying out Mdk 10 Official on 'Leon', my spare mainly winxp computer and while it is slick, quick and pretty professional when up and going several things went bad along the way.

The install hung for a considerable period but when by chance I came back to it later after leaving it going I found it did actually get itself moving. The rest of the install went smoothly.

In booting Mdk 10.0 pauses for some time on 'Mount local file systems' but does get up after a while. Don't know why. Don't really care either.

Luckily I have 'Linikis', a simpler spec machine ready to try.

The machine Mdk 10.0 doesn't like has:-

Athlon 2800, Gigabyte KT600 Motherboard, ATA 133 HDD, SATA HDD on controller card, 1024Mb DDR, Nividea etc.

I can only think that Mdk 10.0 doesn't agree with my SATA controller card. Mdk 9.2 installed cleanly, booted easily and ran smoothly on the same machine, but it's predecessor Mdk 9.1 took a hell of a fight to get it up at all.

It seems that Mdk 10.0 has gone backwards a bit in installing and booting on some of the more higher spec machines.

I'll post again if there are any problems after I've let the monster loose on 'Linikis', my mainly linux box but I don't anticpate any.

Cheers.