Font problems after upgrade to Mdk 10

kde-head

Curious problem this.

I upgraded my Mandrake 9.2 install to Mdk 10 Official and I then noticed that my beautifully aliased fonts in Mandrake 9.2 were now poorly resolving. I did have Texstars kdegraphics 3.1.4 installed , and that caused conflicts - but i managed to remove that package and then install the official Mandrake kdegraphics.

The one thing I have NOT done , is reboot the system completely - i just ALT-CTRL-DEL out of KDE and logged back in.

(the box in question is at work, and i'm writing this from home)

So, I suspect I need to reboot in order to restart the X Server, as the new XFree for Mandrake 10 was installed.

So, is rebooting the solution to my crappy fonts, or is there a bug somewhere in KDE 3.2 itself?

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem. As far as I recall, Sans Serif and Arial were 2 of the fonts that resolved pretty poorly.

Any pointers or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by kde-head

kde-head,

I've seen this after *upgrading* a system. Maybe some config files in /home/$user and in /home/$user/.kde

Just an idea: create a new (test) user. - See if the new user has the same font problem. - If not, then you could try to backup the old /.kde dir, delete the orginal one, and logout/login.

a-ha! i've not tried that one yet.

makes a lot of sense. i did a fresh clean install on a box at home, and i didnt have the font issue - in fact the fonts looked positively gleaming compared to previous versions.

i'll give that suggestion a go. thanks for the tip. if it works i'll post back (tommorow) so that others can know of this one.