nvidia card disabled?

santner

I just came across this and it seems to be relevant. From www.minion.de

Linux 2.6 AGPGART seems to be broken on some chipsets. If you find that your system hangs upon starting X, potentially with ASCII garbage all over the screen, try the built-in NVIDIA AGP GART driver (Option "NvAgp" "1", AGPGART not loaded) instead.

When I set:

Options "NvAGP" "2 or 3"

Then I get the "ASCII Garbage" on my screen and have to power off to shut it down. However when the option is set to 1 it loads fine but the AGPGART module still gets loaded. Does anyone know where to go to shut this off from loading automatically on bootup?

ok....so I did something stupid this morning. I couldn't find where the agpgart module gets loaded from, but I knew that via-agp was associated with agpgart so I decided to remove that module from being loaded automatically. I just figured that if it didn't work that I would boot to runlevel 3 and change it back. Well, it didn't work and I changed it back and then for some unknown reason after I rebooted the nvidia module wouldn't load and the familiar ascii garbage was all over my screen. To make a long story short, after about 4 reboots the nvidia module suddenly loaded again and I am now no further along than I was yesterday

Does anyone know how to disable agpgart from being loaded automatically at bootup?

Here is some more data in my search for an answer. I think that ultimately I need to recompile the kernel without AGPGART because VIA_AGP loads AGPGART automatically and overrides the NV_AGP. It seems that I have read that there are issues with my chipset(VIA KM133) and the AGPGART. Anyway, on to the data.

grep -i nvidia /var/log/XF86Config.0.log

(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NvAGP" "1"

(**) NVIDIA(0): Use of NVIDIA internal AGP requested

(WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage

Failed to verify AGP usage---->cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status

glxinfo | grep -i pci

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce FX 5200/PCI/3DNOW!

This answers how my AGP card can work with AGP being disabled, it's using the PCI BUS!!!

dmesg | grep -i agp

0: NVRM: not using NVAGP, AGPGART is loaded!!

nvidia: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.

nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.

0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module 1.0-5336 Wed Jan 14 18:29:26 PST 2004

not using NVAGP, AGPGART is loaded---this leads to my theory of compiling the kernel without AGPGART. Let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried on a kernel with and without agpgart compiled in. I have tried the patch from minion.de. I have posted on nvnews. All to no avail. And finally, my last hope is to email nvidia directly. In summary:

cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status

The closest I have got is using NvAGP "2", of course the system locks up with ascii garbage everywhere. But when I boot to run level 3 and check the /var/log/XF86.0.log file, it does say that AGP 4x has been successfully initialized. So close....

I fear that my chipset is the problem(VIA KM133). Almost.....giving......up...... :wall:

On Athlon motherboards with the VIA KX133 or 694X chip set, such as the

ASUS K7V motherboard, NVIDIA drivers default to AGP 2x mode to work around

insufficient drive strength on one of the signals.  You can force AGP 4x

by setting NVreg_EnableVia4x to 1.  Note that this may cause the system

to become unstable.

On ALi1541 and ALi1647 chipsets, NVIDIA drivers disable AGP to work

around timing issues and signal integrity issues. You can force AGP

to be enabled on these chipsets by setting NVreg_EnableALiAGP to 1.

Note that this may cause the system to become unstable.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-5336/README

That's a good point, and I have come across that before. However, it says that the nvidia drivers default to AGP 2x mode. I can't even get that. I guess that I could try to force it to AGP 2x and see what happens, it's worth a shot.