nvidia card disabled?

santner

I finally got my nvidia card installed and working with the correct driver(driver "nvidia") :P , but when I issue the command:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

It says that the driver/card is disabled? How can this be? Is there a file where this can be enabled?

I also issued:

lsmod | grep nvidia

nvidia 2068232 36

So the module is loaded. Also, on glxgears I am at 930 fps and the card that I have is an nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128 MB of RAM. Does anyone have some input on this? Thanks,

Shane

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hey I have a how to on my site for getting the Nvidia drivers working. Check your XF86Config-4 file and be sure that glx is loading and also that the drivers listed is nvidia. The default is nv. I like installing from the install script form source. It works every time. Check it out at www.linuxloader.com

Direct rendering actually is enabled.

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

direct rendering: Yes

I was just concerned about the status: disabled. Should I just ignore it and assume that it is working properly?

try running glxgears - and see how many fps you get.

If you post that data, along with which card you've got we'll have a pretty good idea if everything is working (early idications seem to be that everything is ok).

Here is my card:

CHAINTECH nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 64-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP

***** Although my mobo only supports speeds of 4x :wall:

Also, on glxgears I am getting around 930 fps.

I'd say 930 is a little low for that card, but its much higher than you'd see if the nvidia drivers weren't working.

Another good test is to run tuxracer, if you can play it - the 3D acceleration is ok.

I'm not sure what you can do about tweaking the drivers to get more speed out of them, or get rid of the agp disabled. Perhaps you could try looking at the agpart nvidia module option.

A good place to look for further help is nvnews, could you please post back onto this thread if you get it sorted?

HTH

I think this is the solution from the nvidia readme.txt:

There are several choices for configuring the NVIDIA kernel module's

use of AGP: you can choose to either use NVIDIA's AGP module (NVAGP),

or the AGP module that comes with the linux kernel (AGPGART). This is

controlled through the "NvAGP" option in your XF86Config file:

Option "NvAgp" "0" ... disables AGP support

Option "NvAgp" "1" ... use NVAGP, if possible

Option "NvAgp" "2" ... use AGPGART, if possible

Option "NvAGP" "3" ... try AGPGART; if that fails, try NVAGP

Somehow my system must have defaulted to disabling AGP support. I will try to fix this tonight when I get home. I'll post tomorrow to confirm if this is in fact the correct solution.

Some interesting developements. It turns out that I already had:

Options "NvAGP" "1"

in my XF86Config file, but when I tried to change it to a 2 or 3, then the screen outputs strange characters, mostly in black and white but also in a strange neon green color, similar to the PASS color on bootup. So I tried:

lsmod | grep nvidia

nvidia 2068232 24

lsmod | grep agpgart

agpgart 31016 1 via-agp

cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status

Still disabled :wall: From my previous post, "NvAGP" "1" means that I am using the nvidia AGP driver, and 2 means that I am using the linux kernel AGP driver. I don't know what else to try. Is there some file somewhere where I could enable the AGP? I already checked the BIOS and everything is as it should be there.

santner: I too have NvAGP set to 1 and am getting Status:Disabled from cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status

setting anything other than 1 results in the same problems as you're experiencing. i've been trying to figure this out for a while now...but I can't seem to. my FPS are a bit higher, but I have the FX5600 w/256MB of memory so that should be expected.

it's annoying, isn't it? wish I could help :wall:

As my status indicates, I am new to this forum. If this is inappropriate, let me know. I just thought that I would move this over to the previous thread so that others can pick up where we left off. Thanks.

In my XFree86.config file, I have:

Options "NvAGP" "1"

which as I understand from the readme.txt file:

Option "NvAGP" "integer"

Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:

0 : disable agp

1 : use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible

2 : use AGPGART, if possible

3 : use any agp support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)

Please note that NVIDIA's internal AGP support cannot

work if AGPGART is either statically compiled into your

kernel or is built as a module, but loaded into your

kernel (some distributions load AGPGART into the kernel

at boot up). Default: 3 (the default was 1 until after

1.0-1251).

So from the above paragraph I understand that I need to disable AGPGART from loading automatically at startup so that the nvidia internal AGP support will work. Is this how you see it? If so, where can I go to disable AGPGART at startup? I imagine somewhere in /etc/modules*?

It seems like it might have something to do with AGPGART getting loaded at bootup. Have you tried to disable the code that auto loads it and see if that changes anything? I'm at work, so I have to wait in anticipation all day long. :juggle: